My DH and I have different opinions...

Our son was born extremely premature and is now 7 months old. But his "adjusted age" is 4 months. He is on oxygen at night and on a monitor. He is starting to out grow his bassinet and DH thinks that he should go into his own room now and I am not ready. I want to keep him in our room until he is off oxygen and the monitor. I was going to bring the pack and play into our room since the bassinet is getting small. I know this isn't "just for fun" but this seems to be the place to get your questions answered! Any thoughts? Am I just being over protective? He does nap in his own room, and sleeps through the night, but I just worry about the night time!

mere417

Asked by mere417 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you. I would want him within a arms reach until he is off the oxygen. Go with your gut!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh and I should mention, he is my 2nd child so I don't think it's "first child syndrome" ;P
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would want him in my room. That is JMO
    cowgirlmama

Answer by cowgirlmama at 10:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He would sleep with me if he was mine. But then again my 2 year old sleeps with me.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Maybe your DH is really just asking for some alone time with you? I think you should go with your gut and keep him close to you. I wonder though if there is someone else you trust with him, like your mom or MIL to watch him for a night so you and DH can have some grown up time for a night? If that is not the issue or if there is no one you would trust to be with your son for a night, than I don't know.
    AprilD32

Answer by AprilD32 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes you are being overprotective but for good reasons.

Im torn, I dont like my children sleeping with me, even when they were ill I couldnt do it. So I probably would put them in their own room once they were fully outgrown in the bassinet.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't think you are being unreasonable wanting to keep him in your room till he's off of the oxygen and monitors. Hopefully you can explain to DH how you are feeling ad why you want him with you two. He probably want's to get back to wanting you for himself. Maybe you two can both listen to eachother's reasons and come to an agreement. We have a larger than normal bedroom and my DD who will be one next month is still sleeping in our room in her crib. But that's because DH hasn't finished the trim in her room yet.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No, I don't blame you at all. Is the monitor loud? If he was in another room and it went off would you hear it? Or maybe if you got a baby monitor so that you could hear your baby when he was in his room?
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i totally agree with you, i would keep him in your room till he's off the monitor and oxygen and probably just a little bit longer than to be sure he's ok . like you said he's only 4 months old adjusted age, many people keep their baby born at full term in their bedroom for longer than that. go with your gut and whatever is best for baby
    dee778

Answer by dee778 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I had my kids on time and I used the bassinet and then graduated them to the pack-n-play then finally to the crib. So I am with you.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2009