Any Agnostic or Athiest Conservative Republicans out there?

Just wondering if the entire party is totally based on the overly religious...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm atheist and nonpartisan. I vote based by issues not by party line. But when some republican makes big deal out of religion .Like some of them think Wicca/Paganism is evil,I will not support them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• guess not lol!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Wow, judgement and all. Can you possibly define 'overly religious'?

Personally, I believe in a higher power. I don't subscribe to any one religion though. I consider myself a moderate though. I have conservative principals, so if I voted solely based on my conscience then you would see me as a conservative republican.

By the way, nice way to try to make conservatism all about religion. Way off base, but nice try.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No not all conservatives are religious."Overly religious depends on what one thinks of as "overly" I guess.Some are mainly fiscally conservative and will cast their vote on that alone which is a great reason by the way.Although that is something that seems to of been lost and needs to be recovered more then ever.
    I was agnostic and conservative at one point now Christian.I wouldn't base lack of responses here on CM q and a as an indicator that none exist because there are plenty out there.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• By the way one of the better reason for being conservative is not only fiscal and responsble in spending but also now it seems the other side is moving to huge government/socialism more and more.While conservatism is for smaller government,free market ...capitalism.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am agnostic, although I do mainly live my life by what would be deemed "Christian" principles (I call them more "traditional"). I have never voted for a liberal in my life--I vote either Republican or Libertarian. Even without the belief in God, conservative and libertarian principles just make far more sense to me, and I don't think America will survive as we've known it if it continues on a leftward path.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's a slow time of day here. . .

I know several agnostic republicans, and there are a couple who haven't responded yet. You are thinking of the morality laws some of the party would prefer. Check out the actual website to see what the party itself believes, and avoid sites with titles such as loonytunes.rightwing.org.

This would be as irrelevant as saying all dems are tree hugging hippies. Simply not true.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't have a religion, but if I did it would NOT be Christian. I am a fairly conservative Republican. There are a lot of people like me. You spend too much time on CM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I am actually very religious (Jewish) and I am a Democrat. I think that a large majority of Republicans are Christian but I wouldn't say that all are or that those who are devoutly religious aren't Democrats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would guess that you are trying to point out the fact that republicans have become tied to the religious right. And they have. Of course there are many non-religious republicans, but it has become the party of socially conservative Christians.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2009