what can i do to get my son to take a sippy cup?

he refuses to drink anything but a bottle

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I threw all her bottles away, so she had no choice about the sippy cup. It took a few hours for her to realize that was the only option and along with her thirst, she finally gave in lol

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with the 1st post. Just throw them away and make sure they are out of your reach. Throw them away, and then make sureyou take the trash out- trust me, I know its tempting to dig it out and sanitize it just to make your child happy..

Answer by shenae704 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yea, if he has no choice he will learn!! Although it really depends on how old he is.. maybe he's not old enough yet? But if he's over a year then he's old enough!

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with the others, throw out the bottles. If they aren't there, he won't have any other choice. When they're over a year old, bottles are horrible for their teeth.

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Playtex makes a bottle with a sippy cup spout that helps your baby learn to use a sippy cup. A sippy cup spout feels really strange to a baby, that is probably why he refuses it. Try one of those transition bottles. It helped all three of my kids!

Answer by Nicollynne at 11:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son used the Aventa bottles and they have handles and sippy spouts that fit them, also. I just threw all his nipples away and switched to sippy. He learned quickly that if he wanted something to drink that was the only way to get it.

• Our pedi said when they can hold their own bottle to introduce the sippy. My DS had a very big problem switching until we found the Nuby sippies. We tried Avent & Gerber with the handles (hard and soft spout) and then I got Nuby sippies and he switched just fine. :)

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 2:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• try a straw style sippy cup. my girls wouldnt do anything with the other cups and we bought like 3 different kidns. so i tried the straws and that was it at 10 months no more bottles.

Answer by mrspierce06 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2008