Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i help my husband?

my husband told me yesterday that he has severe post traumatic stress disorder, mild bipolar/manic depressive, social anxiety disorder, and add. he got these things from his childhood. what, if anything, can i do to help him? i love him so much.

Answer Question

Asked by mommy_laura at 10:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • He just popped those out of nowhere? How long have you been married? Is he seeing a professional?

    I guess I'm not much help with so little to go on.

    Answer by munch12502 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Talk with his doctor to find out. If he is getting treatment then his medical professional will be able to tell you or at least give you a reading list. My first thought is to make sure he understands how important it is to take his med as prescribed.

    Answer by Bmat at 10:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • I think basically what he just told you is that he is a very wounded man. That means he is in need of some very deep healing. As one who has been through this, I can tell you that it is very difficult to find qualified help, but there is some available. The answer lies in healing, not in just being treated with drugs, which is what almost everyone you go to see will want to do. They can prescribe drugs which may or may not help the symptoms, but what he needs is healing. You can love him unconditionally, and you can encourage him to talk about the traumas that have brought him to where he is today. I would also be praying that God would reveal the roots of his problems and give me wisdom to know how to proceed in helping him get the help he needs. The fact that he told you what he's struggling with is a sign that he wants and needs your help. I hope you find it.

    Answer by NannyB. at 10:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • If this is the first you're hearing of it, he's hid it for a long time. Just let him know you will support him through everything. Also read up on some self help books with him, be very active in helping him on the road to healing.

    Answer by Apr1l at 10:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • we have been married 5 months but together 2 yrs. i knew he had the ptsd for a while. but the other stuff he just told me yesterday cuz he told me something about his past that related to it. when r relationship first got serious, he told me there was something important he wanted to tell me, but wanted to wait for the right time since he has problems talking about his past. so i was patient and loved him the best i can.

    Answer by mommy_laura at 10:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • he is not on meds, hasnt been for a few yrs, cuz he(and now we) cant afford them. he used to see a shrink, but doesnt now for the same reasons.

    Answer by mommy_laura at 10:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Just be there for him and listen.

    Answer by drpepper73 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • It was really wrong of him to marry you without first disclosing this information. He has very heavy problems that require care from a professional (especially the bi-polar, my sister is bi-polar). If he is not seeing a psychiatrist for medication and a psychologist for counseling, you need to get him in for treatment immediately and be encouraging his taking care of his mental health. This are not problems that go away. They require ongoing care and attention.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • There's no such thing as "mild" bipolar, as far as I am aware (having it myself.) There are two types, one of which has milder manic phases but more severe depressive phases. It's a serious disease. He should be taking medication. There are a number of generic drugs available at chain pharmacies for very affordable prices. Get a list of them from the store and bring them to a doctor. If he can't afford to see a shrink, bring it to his primary care doctor, who can also prescribe psychiatric meds. Even if you have to pay out of pocket for the appointment, remember, there is only so long that anyone with these issues can stay stable without treatment. He needs professional help or he may be at risk of spiraling out of control - even if he seems fine now.

    Answer by quirkymama at 1:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Be supportive, try to be understanding, and offer to help him get some help ...he needs a therapist and some meds.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.