• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone suffered a loss mid-pregnancy (2nd trimester) from being O negative?

I am O negative and the father is O postive. I have suffered two losses, one in the first trimester around 7 weeks and i just recently lossed my baby girl a week ago. She died at 19 weeks but i delievered her when i was suppose to be 22 weeks and 4 days. I'm just wondering if i should have been recommended to a specialist this time around and should they test for antibodies periodically throughout my pregnancy? They said they tested for antibodies in the beginning of my second pregnancy and they would test again around 27 weeks and give me a shot at 28 weeks. I did get a shot in my first pregnancy and then two days later i miscarried...they say it covered the miscarriage. My baby had no physical abnormalities and the doc said the umbilical cord look heathly. They took the placenta for testing inwhich i have not got those results back.

krt07roar

Asked by krt07roar at 10:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all, I am so sorry for losses. If I could, I would reach out and hug you. It sounds to me that you are RH Negative. Being Rh Negative is why you are getting the shot at 28 wks and also afterwards. I am RH Negative as well. My question is this...Prior to your miscarriages, were you bleeding at all? Reason I ask is because if you bleed anytime prior to the 28 wk mark, you have to have a Rhogam shot (rh shot) You may already know this but if you don't, our blood (which is Negative) can mix with the blood of the baby (who potentially could be positive blood type) and basically our blood see's this as a parasite and attacks the fetus. I was in the ER several weeks ago for a threatened m/c and had to get the shot because I was bleeding and this is what they told me. I hope that it helps. Keep your head up :)
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 10:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't have a problem with the O negative thing. I did however lose my son at 19 weeks. My water broke and I had to give birth to our son that wouldn't live past the cutting of the cord. Long story short, they tested him and the placenta and everything was normal also. I know how hard it is but you have to try to look at the positives of things.. For one, this time around in my pregnancy God granted me with twins.. I think you should be seeing a specailist for sure.. I hope things get better!
    Lacy_2

Answer by Lacy_2 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009