Do you believe in hell?

I see so many people on here telling each other they are going to hell....I just want to know how many people believe in hell. And if you do why? If not why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First you should find out what Jesus ment when he was teaching about hell......here is some info.......To what was Jesus referring when he spoke of a person’s being thrown “into hell”? The original Greek word translated “hell” at Mark 9:47 is Ge′en·na. This word comes from the Hebrew Geh Hin·nom′, meaning “Valley of Hinnom.” The Valley of Hinnom hugged the outskirts of ancient Jerusalem. In the days of the Israelite kings, it was used for child sacrifice—a disgusting practice that God condemned. God said that he would execute those who performed such an act of false worship. The Valley of Hinnom would then be called “the valley of slaughter,” where “the carcases of this people” would lie unburied. (Jeremiah 7:30-34, King James Version) Jehovah thus foretold that the Valley of Hinnom would become a place, not for the torture of live victims, but for the mass disposal of dead bodies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Nope, I am a christian, but have been exposed to so many different types of religions inside of christianity and I believe in the loving God, I believe that he has somewhere that he may send you untill you learn better for a lack of better words, but for all eternity, no I believe in second chances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• no, i believe we make our own hell here on earth through good/bad choices otherwise known as Karma.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It is in our school distict about 10-15 minutes from here. Theye have a great IceCream shop. We used to have a babysitter from Hell. now most of my DD's friends are from there. I did get a photo of me and Erik from Survivor last summer when I stopped in. the post office will burn the end of your postcard if you send it from there. It is a lovely town!!! WWW. hell2u.com is the web address I believe!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes, I'm a christian, I believe in heaven and hell and you make up your mind whether you want to live for God or not. It's called free will. God gave us the choice to chose. You chose him- you go to heaven. You don't chose him, you go to hell. Its really as simple as that.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes I believe in fire and brimstone hell.

I would never tell someone they were going there....unless it was closely followed by "See ya there". Because I don't believe any one is except from that punishment save by the Grace of God. And it's not my place to cast that judgment on anyone, because the bible says however you judge, so shall you be judged.

I have however told people "Go to hell". in anger.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Did Jesus Mean Hellfire?
    SOME who believe the doctrine of hellfire point to Jesus’ words recorded at Mark 9:48 (or verses 44, 46). He mentioned worms (or maggots) that do not die and fire that is not quenched. If someone asked you about those words, how would you respond?
    Depending on the Bible version being used, the person might read verse 44, 46, or 48 because these verses read similarly in some versions. The New World Translation reads: “If your eye makes you stumble, throw it away; it is finer for you to enter one-eyed into the kingdom of God than with two eyes to be pitched into Gehenna, where their maggot does not die and the fire is not put out.”—Mark 9:47, 48.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• In any case, some claim that Jesus’ statement supports the view that after death the souls of the wicked suffer forever. For instance, a comment in the Spanish Sagrada Biblia of the University of Navarre says: “Our Lord uses [these words] to refer to the torments of hell. Often ‘the worm that does not die’ is explained as the eternal remorse felt by those in hell; and the ‘fire which is not quenched,’ as their physical pain.”
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• However, compare Jesus’ words with the final verse of Isaiah’s prophecy. Is it not apparent that Jesus was alluding to the text in Isaiah chapter 66? The prophet there apparently refers to going out “of Jerusalem to the surrounding Hinnom Valley (Gehenna), where human sacrifice was once practiced (Jer 7:31) and which eventually became the city’s refuse heap.” (The Jerome Biblical Commentary) The symbolism at Isaiah 66:24 clearly is not that of people being tortured; it speaks of carcasses. What it refers to as not dying is worms—not live humans or immortal souls. What, then, is the import of Jesus’ words?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Note the comment on Mark 9:48 in the Catholic work El evangelio de Marcos. Análisis lingüístico y comentario exegético, Volume II: “[The] phrase is taken from Isaiah (66,24). There the prophet shows the two ways corpses were usually destroyed: putrefaction and incineration . . . The juxtaposition in the text of maggots and fire reinforces the idea of destruction. . . . Both destructive forces are described as permanent (‘is not quenched, does not die’): there is simply no way to escape them. In this image, the only survivors are the maggot and the fire—not man—and they both annihilate anything that falls within their power. Hence, this is not a description of everlasting torment, but one of total destruction which, as it prevents resurrection from occurring, is tantamount to final death. [Fire] is, then, a symbol of annihilation.”
    Anonymous