Medical bills and collections

We have over $3000 in medical bills that is with a collection agency. We have been paying $100 a month per our initial agreement with the company. Now they want it all since its tax time and we dont have $300 to give them. Even though they are still depositing our $50 checks each week. They are saying it is a refusal to pay. Does anyone know what we can do and what the next step the collection agency will be taking

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• correction we dont have $3000 to give them
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would suggest talking with a supervisor at the collection agency, to see why the original agreement changed. I would at least talk with them and try and work something out because they will ding your credit bad if you do nothing. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Well my sister got a notice she would need to hire a lawyer and go to court for refusal to pay... but that was for a loan, not hospital bills... I don't know if they can do that to you, but I would say keep ahold of all your bank statements that show your checks are being cashed and that initial agreement.

Every year around this time I get letters from all of the people I owe money to that say since I got my tax return I need to pay my debt it full. Sorry but what I do with my tax return is my money, whether I use it pay off bills or put it into savings or go out for nice weekend and spend a few grand just for the hell of it. I would just keep making your payments like you areed to.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• If they are accepting your payments and you are sending what you originally agree to there is not much they can do. If you are sending less than what you agreed upon they can sue you even if they deposited your lower amount.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Every year around this time I get letters from all of the people I owe money to that say since I got my tax return I need to pay my debt it full. Sorry but what I do with my tax return is my money, whether I use it pay off bills or put it into savings or go out for nice weekend and spend a few grand just for the hell of it. I would just keep making your payments like you areed to.

Sorry that is so irresponsible. Just pay the money you owe and get it over with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Anon, I never said that I did it... I was just trying to make a point... jeesh.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• First off they have no idea if you got money back or if you had to pay unless you told them. It is possible for them to claim part of your taxes but in that case you wouldnt have gotten it back, but a letter saying that this is why they took it and what amount, and you would have gotten it about a week befor you get your money. Second, I worked for aa loan company, not for medical stuff, but similar, and I have no idea what the policies are for the company you are dealing with, but I know it was standard that you come across like you are not giving the client an option, see what I mean? If you scare someone into paying it works better than saying hey could you please pay us with your extra money. It's a mean trick but like in your case it worries some people to the point of paying. I would talk to the senior officer on the account and let them know that you will be paying the agreed upon amount like scheduled but that
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• your tax return was not sufficient to take care of any of your extra bills, and you cant pay the balance at this time. If they argue with you, or want to know the amount you got back, tell them that you dont feel comfortable discussing it with them and ask if they are going back on the deal that you made them and if so who is the next highest in command you can speak to to ake further arrangements. Good luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would politely tell them that you have been & will continue to pay the bill off as agreed upon.....but if they continue to harass you about it, you'll just stop paying altogether & they can just eat it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My understanding is, that with medical bills, as long as you are sending them money every month on time, they cannot do anything. It would be good to call them (not get caught off guard when they call you), ask for a supervisor, explain the situation, and request that they tag your account that you are continuing to pay at the speed you are able and will continue to do so, but would appreciate not being harrassed in the meantime.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 5:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2009