Can I donate blood if I have had a blood transfusion?

I have had a couple blood transfusions over the past few years. My last was when my twins were born in June 07. Last MAY (08) I had a bunch of tests ran so I could be a surrogate and came back negative for Hep C and negative for HIV and all that. So I know I'm healthy enough to give blood, the question is... will they let me?

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

• I think they ask you when you go to donate if you've had a transfusion within a certain time frame--so they'll know the answer for you when you go to donate. HOWEVER I don't think you can donate when pregnant, can you?
    calebsmama713

Answer by calebsmama713 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I think as long as it has been over a year since you had the transfusions. I know you have to wait a year after any "transplant surgery" . My hubs had a donor ACL put in his knee and he couldn't give for a year afterward. best bet is to call the agency you plan on giving blood with, and ask them.
    I personally give to life south. The blood stays in our area to help those in need in our area.
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Wow thanks for asking this question. I had a blood transfusion and I was wondering the same thing!
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I think it's a time frame thing too. Call first because I wasted my time when I was in there and couldn't give blood because it'd been less than a year since I was in Mexico. I'm in the same situation because I went again last June! Hehe! But...on another note...I didn't think you could donate if you are pregnant?! Am i wrong there? I'm prone to fainting and dehydration during pregnancy, so I know that I couldn't right now.
    OliWesMom

Answer by OliWesMom at 11:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yeah, I'm not planning on donating right now- but last night we saw a thing on tv about blood donation and I said I hadnt done it in quite a while. My husband said I would never be allowed to again because I've had a blood transfusion. So, I'm curious now. I would like to donate blood again someday.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I got this info from our local blood bank:
    Surgery or minor illnesses: “I had dental surgery last week, so I can’t donate.”
    Donors are required to feel well at the time of donation, so a cold, flu or allergies may temporarily prevent someone from donating. Donors must wait at least 24 hours for many minor surgeries, including dental work. Donors should rely on our screening process to determine surgery or illness deferrals. Many times the blood center medical director may make this determination.

Pregnancy: “I have a 2-month-old newborn, so I can’t donate.” The answer is “yes you can” in most cases. Pregnant women are not eligible to donate blood, but they become eligible six weeks after giving birth. Women who are nursing are encouraged to drink plenty of water both before and after donating blood.

Here's the link for more information: http://www.floridasbloodcenters.org/YesICan.htm
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009