I am about to take on a terrific task. In two weeks, I will be flying across the country with 3 children by my self. They are 6, 3, and 2. There is tons of advice all over the net for flying with one child or even two. And lots of tips on flying with multiple kiddos and two parents. There isnt much to found for flying with more than 2 and just the mom. I am looking for any tips all you moms out there may have for me. Thanks!

I need travel tips from anyone, especially moms who have done it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Travel

• Pack plenty of snacks and drinks, take crayons and coloring books, handheld video games, anything to keep them occupied. Good luck and safe travels!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have never had to do this, but the first thing that comes to mind is those toddler leash things. I know alot of people may not gree with them but this sounds like one of those instances that it could really help. And laike 1st reply said, lots of things to entertain on the plane too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I fly all the time with my girls....of course my hubby is there but even with him not there the main thing is entertainment. Books, crayons, DVD players W/ headphones...target has really great kids headphones. You cant pack juice but you can pack their sippy cups and once on board fill their cups ONLY HALF WAY...I would try to not give them liquids unless they request it, this will help cut down on the potty breaks. I am not sure what time your flight is for..but the red eye flights always work best because they sleep. I would also take a double stroller with me all the way down until I boarded the plane, this way you can keep the kids contained and when you get off the plane the stoller will be waiting for you at the ramp, makes walking through the airport much easier.
    Anonymous

• SORRY did not mean to post ANON......my bad.

I fly all the time with my girls....of course my hubby is there but even with him not there the main thing is entertainment. Books, crayons, DVD players W/ headphones...target has really great kids headphones. You cant pack juice but you can pack their sippy cups and once on board fill their cups ONLY HALF WAY...I would try to not give them liquids unless they request it, this will help cut down on the potty breaks. I am not sure what time your flight is for..but the red eye flights always work best because they sleep. I would also take a double stroller with me all the way down until I boarded the plane, this way you can keep the kids contained and when you get off the plane the stoller will be waiting for you at the ramp, makes walking through the airport much easier.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Be sure to prepare you children for the controlled chaos of the airports/airplanes. Let them know that there are ALOT of people in the airport, but only ONE momma to watch the three of them. They shouldnt run off to want to go somewhere (store, another row of seats)without getting your full attention first. Potty breaks should be given right after security. So that you arent rushing to make a dash for the bathroom and be back intime for the flight to board. What you take on board is dependent on what keeps your kids occupied. One way to keep them occupied is those cheap disposable cameras. tell them that they have a 'mission' to take pictures of things that are blue, red, orange, triangles, squares, etc. Or even to take funny pictures of each other and Momma too. They could cronicle the trip with pictures. At boading they give the option of families with small children to go first..take it!!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh you may also consider getting wristbands to put on each of them with your name and phone number in case they may get separated from you. As far as keeping them occupied you can have them each have a small bag/backpack for their things. So you arent dragging around tons of bags. I wish you a safe and somewhat easy trip!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• enlist your 6yo to be your helper....give her a special something for doing it and helping you out...childds old eough to understand that and help
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• good luck!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Get and stay organized! Its the best piece of advice I can give....
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 12:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009