How do you deal with a negative Nancy at work?

I got into work a little while ago and my co-worker.. who I work very closely with, is in a HORRIBLE mood. I was in a good mood this morning and her negativity is dragging me down. I would ignore her, but unfortuntely I can't, because we manage accounts together. I've talked with other coworkers and it has been this way for a while. Is it time that I step up and say something? Or let Negative Nancy's moods regulate the office.

(PS. I work for a small, close knit business where some people have been working together for over 10 years, including this negative Nancy)

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 11:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Negative Nancy is a toxic lady who probably isn't going to change her ways if you say something to her anyways. As hard as it may be, tyr to ignore her negativity. Or tell her like it is, say "Do you have to be so negative all the time?" Tell her it brings you down. But be prepared to have to deal with it. I worked with someone like this before. It's frustrating and does bring the whole office down. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Maybe ask "Is something bothering you?" OR "Is everything okay, do you need to talk about something?" If this is new for her she may be going through a really hard time at home.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Ask her out to lunch. Tell her in a calm way that you noticed she's not her normal cheerful self, even if she's never cheerful! She might let down her wall and tell you what's wrong, or at least loosen her negative mood.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009