Is it okay to leave my son on the couch sleeping by himself?

He's one. (twelve months) He walks he can pull himself up on the couch. He will wake up if i lay him in his crib.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This can't be a real question but in any event I will entertain it. No you shouldn't. He could roll off and hurt himself unless you put blankets and pillows on the floor for him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Put a couple pillows on the floor to cushion his fall if he rolls off in his sleep. Otherwise, he's sleeping, he's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sure it is. I'd make sure the couch is wet-proofed in case of "accidents" and I'd probably put a chair or two against the couch to help avoid his falling off. The problem would be if he gets up and wanders on his own, you want to make sure he is confined at night when you can't keep an eye on him every second. so if it is at night you are talking about, and if chairs along the sofa don't confine him, then I'd be wary of this. You really can't have him getting into things and risking getting hurt. As long as you are keeping an eye on him, the sofa is fine.

Answer by Bmat at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son always feel alseep on the couch but I always put pillows on the floor or a blanket just in case he falls off.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• GUESS WHAT ANON. this is a real question. Sorry if you are such the perfect parent you just automatically know all the answers to everything and don't need to ask. If you didn't like the question you should have moved on..
    And yeah, I would put blankets down. I try to be the best mom I can, and if I'm unsure about something I ASK. But geez sorry. Maybe I won't anymore.
    Thanks kaycee for answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It will be fine! My daughter always falls alseep on the couch, granted she is 3.. But she would fall asleep on the couch at your sons age as well! No biggy, just put some soft blankets on the floor, so if he does fall he'll be safe! Rest easy!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I did with my daughter. She doesn't roll much in her sleep and has never fallen off the couch. She is getting in her two year molars now, I am afraid lol, and woke up again at 6am after a horrible night's sleep. (up 3 times before 3 am).. so she told me she wanted to lay on the couch. She grabbed her pillow, blanket, and stuffed animals, and came and fell asleep on the couch. She was knocked out, and I wanted her to sleep well, so I left her there and fell back to sleep in my room. I am 31 weeks pregnant and we both can't fit on the couch. The door was open, so I could here when she woke up.

Sorry, went off on a tangent. *I* think it's ok. My daughter had such a tough time sleeping from birth to 1, she was very high needs, that I would just be glad she was sleeping. If she fell asleep on the couch I was just glad she was sleeping... I have never had her roll, ever. :) You can just place pillows on the floor as a precaution
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• it's probably Ok for short periods of time. But I wouldn't let my dd sleep on the couch and she's almost 2. If your kid sleep in a bed w/o a side w/o falling out, then he's OK on the couch. If he still needs the sides or a railling to keep from rolling out, then I wouldn't let him alone on the couch.
    Anonymous

• put a pillow on the couch next to him and one of the ground...he'll be alright...think about it...in a mere 3m he could be in a toddler bed....oh and falling out of that at night....well...neither of my kids have done that...lol
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I personally wouldn't unless I was sitting there watching him the entire time, but it's up to you. I'm known to be kind of nervous about silly things sometimes, so take my advice with a grain of salt :P
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 12:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009