Help me understand what is Allergies?

I'm hearing cases where the person suffering from allergies might die if exposed to an allergen. Can allergies be that bad? Sorry for the expression

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sow allergies can be outgrown. And yes there are different degrees of reactions. For some it just makes them a little miserable, maybe a runny nose and itchy eyes. For them they probably wouldn't even worry or might take a benadryl. For others it might be severe enough that it limits their day to day activities and they will seek some kind of treatment.
    And for others they go into anaphylactic shock and their whole body just shuts down (throat swells shut, breathing stops, other organs can shut down, etc). Those are the people that carry epi pens, to keep their hearts pumping until they can get to the ER for treatment.
    My son is allergic to cats. He's allergic enough that just going into a room that once had a cat causes his eyes to become red and his face to itch. If he actually touches a cat his eyes swell shut, his lips swell up and he breaks out in hives all over his face and happens in a matter of minutes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Some can be like if someone is allergic to food, I have a friend allergic to coconut and he had some cake with it in the icing he took a few bites before he realized it and his throat started to swell shut, along with the itching and such. But people like me that have seasonal allergies to like pollen or something I have never heard of a case like that, just uncomfortable runny nose and itchy eyes.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes, allergies can be severe. It's not all runny noses and teary eyes. People can stop breathing. In most severe cases, those people have epipens to inject themselves with in case their throat starts to swell shut.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• so we have different "degrees of allergies". can allergies be outgrow? OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• why not google it? You'll get professional anwers if you look at the right sites. Try webmd or baby center.com
    Anonymous