Is 2X a week at the gym a waste of time?

Dh and I have 3 days a week slotted for gym time, right now that's all we can swing with a 4 and 2 YO at home and everyone's various schedules, but lately for a variety of reasons, we've only made it there 2X a week, I'd say for the last month or so, is going so infrequently even worth it??

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• YES, two days is worth it! I am in the same boat so I make the most of it and I start with AT LEAST 30 minutes of cardio. I like the eliptical since running hurts my knees. And then I will do strength training on my arms and legs and always end with ab work. I see a big difference. I recently started do small bursts of exercise at home. Work out video, or just ab work out in between work outs!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• At least its something. Can you take your kids and go for walks or anything to make up for the time that you are missing? Make it a family thing?
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 11:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yes it is, you should really aim for 4-5 x a week to see results
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh course it's worth it. Any amount of time is great when it comes to working out. If you can't make it to the gym on the other days, there are things you can do. Like if you go to Walmart, park far out and walk a little extra. I do this everywhere I do. Take stairs instead of elevators when available. Even little things like this do add up over time and it can help. I say even if you can only make it to the gym twice a week, it's better than nothing.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes it is. And good for you for getting there twice a week. Not only are you burning calories and keeping up your fitness level, you are keeping the motivation, the idea, of doing a workout, in your mind, which will help with keeping you doing it. Something else I do is to park away, not near, the stores so that I have to walk a little farther.

Answer by Bmat at 12:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i happen to agree with a little bit of everybody but thats just me because as anon had said, if you dont go at least the 4 to 5 times a week, your eating will catch up with you and for the days your not going and doesnt burn the calories as needed just going 2 times a week.

i have to maintain the all week exercise or else it doesnt burn much and i sit here on the computer the days im not doing nothing so it all catches up with me and does nothing going just exercising a couple times a week.

and like everyone said also...at least your gettting a little but its not much.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• YES! IF you use your time wisely. Give up the isolation exercises and learn about combination, full-body workouts--sometimes called turbulence training. You can get a heck of a work out in 20 minutes or less if you do interval training--a common type is called Tabata. Cardio all out (on a scale of 1-10---go for a 9 or 10) for 20 seconds, slow waaay down for 10 seconds to about a 1 or 2 effort, back up to a 9-10 effort--do 3-7 reps of this. You can do intervals running, walking, on a bike, treadmill, even the ole' elliptical if need be:-)-----put in a search for interval training---including Tabata.
    You can do so much if you give up the idea that Mon is back & chest, Tues is legs, etc--that is pretty useless for adults on a tight schedule:-) Men's Health has two decent books out on full body workouts---and there are others---just research it and you will see that your two days a week CAN give you results:-))
    Anonymous

• As far as Tabata---elelite athletes can usually make 7 reps--beginners are lucky to hit 3:-) BUT that takes ALL OUT EFFORT--not just a brisk walk on the treadmill--this is REAL training--not for wimps:-) I took my niece out for a session of her first Tabata---she couldn't get past 3 reps and was wiped out:-) I like to do this with kettlebells. ALSO--that fat burn lasts longer than with long, drawn out cardio sessions:-) CHECK IT OUT:-) Interval Training:-)
    Anonymous

• that is elite:-) Sorry--just excited to share:-)

Anonymous

• it is worth it. however, when ur with ur kids go for walks with them also. suck ur stomach in when ur walking or just standing around. ull notice a differnce in a few weeks. by walkin with ur children and exercising with them it will teach hem healthy habits.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009