What did you do to make your cravings for cigarettes easier? For people who quit smoking cold turkey.

Would it help to puff on a cig that's not lit? Just to maybe "pretend" to be smoking? What helped you keep your mind off of it? Did you do a certain thing every time you craved them? Should I taper off or just quit all at once? I was smoking a pack a day, every day and Saturday from 4:00 until I went to sleep, I smoked 1 (That's when I decided to try to quit), Sun, I smoked 2, and today I smoked 1 and then an Eclipse cigarette. Would it be easier just to not have any? I really want to quit, but today I guess my body has got rid of a lot of nicotine and it's harder. I only have about 16 cigs left and I'm not going to buy any more after this. Smoke 1-2 each day until I run out or just not smoke any?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would not smoke any, or plan not to anyway, and dont go and "pertend" to even if it is not lit, that is being mean to yourself and it will be even herder to not do it. Go for a walk, do something that you cant do whenyou smoke, like running, or take a shower. Chew gum. Peanut buter has something in it that helps with cravings of all sorts. It is really really hard, but so worth it. Make yourself wait 20 minutes and if you forget about it ATT ALL during those 20 minutes when it is time make yourself wait 20 more minutes, I did this all day long, cravings usually pass in that amount of time. Do puzzzles, something. YOU CAN DO IT!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i got the dum dum suckers they helped alot and i will warn ya buy alot lol i went through alot well i had kids helping with them to tho if ya want pm me i quit a month and 1 week ago
    mememe27

Answer by mememe27 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I had quit when I found out I was preg (i also started again when I stopped nursing which I wish I hadn't) but it was still hard I chewed gum like crazy and my hardest was when driving (i ALWAYS smoked while driving) so I carried a pen & held it like a cig and even chewed on them. this turned into chewing on straws. it helped mentally. FYI it takes 3 months for all the nicotine to leave your body so the first 3 months is the hardest but after that I promise it gets easier. there will always be days u crave them but it gets easier with time. Good luck you are doing a GREAT thing for quitting.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i suggest not to smoke any cause that wont help you quit thats what i did its hard but you can do it and the cravings will never go away but it does get easier over time
    mememe27

Answer by mememe27 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• hard candy... suck on them and dont bite...it helpeed me the hardest for quiting cold turkey for me was the routine of smoking...like that first morning cig and such
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I started one day by taking one CHANTEX in the morning with my coffee. It did not take long for me to get over the STRONG cig cravings, I would say 2 days. After that I had 2 cigs in four days . Now I don't smoke at all. It has been 28 days since I last smoked. I do still get cravings but they are not as strong. When I get a craving I just keep busy until the craving goes away. I do find myself eating more than I used to, so that is the next thing to work on, exercize. Everytime you get over a craving tell yourself GOOD JOB. I will be buying myself some new clothes for my reward. I am a SAHM, so if you need to talk to some contact me. OK

Westsidemama

Answer by Westsidemama at 12:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Exercise helped me quit. You can't smoke and do cardio at the same time. Also a good time to start exercising or exercising more as most people say they gain weight when they quit smoking.

Is the tax on cigarettes going up in your state on April 1st? If so, think about the savings.

LOL, maybe you can make flash cards of pictures of people's lungs or holes in their throats every time you want to smoke.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 12:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I quit cold turkey this past October, when the cravings come I just do something to keep myself busy... And I chew a lot of gum,lol I get the sugar free kind of course but I know I have tried every different kind they make,lol... Oh and brush your teeth when you get a craving, I know it sounds silly but it cleans your mouth and gets your mind off of it... GL and CONGRATS ON QUITTING!!!!!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 12:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I used the patch and quitnet.com, I cried, I walked, I didn't throw my pack away beacuse in the past it made me think of them more. It was like I would panick knowing I didn't have any so I saved half a pack in the cabinet above the fridge. Then I had power over them instead of the other way around. YOU CAN DO IT!!! I wrote a list of all the reasons I wanted to quit and posted them big at each door so I couldn't go out to smoke without being reminded...5 months free now! It gets easier everyday!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Whoa, I agree with HeartBaby too on the pens and the straws. It's been 4 years since I last smoked heavily. I used to chew on pens and straws all the time but I can't remember the last time I did! It (the cravings) goes away eventually, you don't even notice.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 12:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009