How can I help my daughter keep her food down?

My 5 month old has acid reflux. She has had this since birth. She throws up all day long. She usually keeps her baby food down but usually throws up her bottles. She is on meds and Dr says they aren't worried because she is gaining weight. She is a very happy baby, and I think it's more of a struggle for me, but I too need a break. I am constantly changing her clothes (7+ times a day), and doing a lot of laundry. I just feel up to my ear in dirty clothes and it's hard to take her places seeing as we never have enough clothes with us? Any suggestions on how to keep her food down better would be very appreciated.

Kierstead

Asked by Kierstead at 12:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well if she if on meds for it, and still throws her bottles up...maybe ween her off the bottle?

And if it's really messy mealtimes you could always just feed her in a diaper, or onsie. And put a tarp under her highchair...that's what my ma used to do with me. ^_^
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 12:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• *Ween her off SLOWLY I meant...it sounds like she's taking the food better anyhow..
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 12:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When my oldest was little he would do this happy to eat, puke, happy again thing (doc didn't think it was anything wrong with him except that he was bored and wanted attention because we would feed him and then we would eat...I still don't know what the deal was, but he stopped thank god!) Well there were several times when we were out to eat and he pulled this, it was AWFUL!!! I have never been so embarrassed, we were at a Pizza hut and the wait staff was HELPING me (oh god!) clean my happy, smiling, laughing PUKE covered baby (and their floor, table and chairs) off....I just wanted to crawl under the table and die...I don't know anything about reflux, but your wanting to go somewhere (sooooo unpredictable!) just made me remember that...ugh, I am not sure that we have been back, and he is now 4! LOL!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• DON'T WEAN HER off the formula. There is no way at 5 months is she going to get all her nutrients from food, she needs the formula. When my son was always throwing up, I would keep the house warm and just have him in a diaper and bib.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009