Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am married to a alcohlic?? I dont know what to do!! i am going nuts

Answer Question

Asked by dizzylizzy910 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You need to elaborate.

    Answer by Anjeey at 12:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • stage an intervention

    Answer by aliciatron at 12:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Go to can do it online, they have chat rooms. It is very helpful and you can change your part in the cycle...believe it or not you have a part that contributes to the cycle (not that it is your fault) just that they interact in a way and we respond in a way that they use to justify their drinking. It will give you a new vision on it and give you strength so you can decide with clear mind to stay or go. You can not fix him...only he can do that.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Unless he wants to change, there's not much you can do.

    My (half) brother was an alcoholic. He was told he'd die if he didn't stop drinking, but that didn't stop him. His wife said she'd leave him, but that didn't stop him. She finally did leave him ~~ 20-something years of marriage ~~, but that didn't stop him. His son moved in with him to help him out and encourage him, but that didn't stop him.

    He died on Good Friday last year. He was 49.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • You can talk to me anytime, I know what you are going though, My husband has been clean and sober for over three years now.

    Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • I agree with ria7

    Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • Laura1229 has the perfect comment. You need to go to son's father is an alcholic, im a recovering drug addict/alcoholic and ive been clean 4 years. al anon will help you and there will be other wives that will be there to share. he will only change if he wants to. if its that bad suggest rehab, if he wont do rehab, suggest AA meetings and say you will go with him. explain to him that you are really concerned and you want to get him help... if this continues and it all doesnt work, give him the choice.. you.. or the bottle.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

  • You can't fix him.You can only work on yourself.And make your self strong enough to give him an ultimatium.Loose the booze or loose his family.and then hope for the best.

    Answer by evelynwest at 6:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
part 5