Help!! My babies have a TERRIBLE COUGH at night!!

Help! I have a 5 month old and a 29 month old (2 and half). They have been been sick on and off since last october and this is not the second time i've been posting a question about this matter. It's just that feel like i don't know where to turn cuz the doctors don't seem to help much. My babies were fine a few weeks ago until we came back from the cayes (FYI: my 2 yr old swam a lot and the baby took a little 15 second dip). Ever since then they have both developed a terrible cough. And as per usual, the cough seems to get worst at night. It's so depressing to watch my little baby cough so fiercely. I have to put him on the nebulizer and that seems to work for him for the rest of the night. But my 2 year old daughter had it really bad lastnight. She coughed uncontrollably ALL NIGHT for hours until she vomited. I tried nebulizing her, gave robitussin CF for children, rubbed vicks under her feet and nothing seemed to work. :(

Mariel83

Asked by Mariel83 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried running a humidifier - or take them into a steamy bathroom?
    Anonymous

• It sounds like it could be croup if it's worse at night. Try bringing them into a steamy bathroom to see if that helps.
    You could also tell your pedi you want a referral to a pediatric pulmonologist. Somebody must be able to figure out what's going on if both the 5 mos and the 2.5 yr old are having issues.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009