Do you have a good recipe for fried chicken?

I just can't seem to make good fried chicken! Do you have a recipe and tips and hints that I could have? Thanks in advance :~)

epoh

Asked by epoh at 1:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• http://www.southernfriedchickenrecipe.com/Fried-Chicken-Recipes/fried-chicken/heavy-batter-fried-chicken-recipe.php

That one is good

and this one is good

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/berts-southern-fried-chicken-recipe/index.html

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I always put little slices in my chicken so the flavor gets in there.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Basically, I season it with Adobo, garlic powder, season salt and every other season I like ummm, and let it just soak in the seasoning. Put little slits in the chicken, give it most of the day in the fridge, then I flour it, and fry it up, I would love to try this with Buttermilk, I hear it is delicious. Maybe one day, I am trying not to eat fried foods as much. LOLOL
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• heres what i do: Preheat electric skillet to 375 melt a spoonful of crisco in the skillet. i throw some flour salt and pepper in a plastic bag, throw the chicken in the bag and shake it to coat. Add the chicken to the skillet, i do 7 min. on each side, then turn it down to about 325-350 and flip every 5 min or so for about 25-30 more minutes until they are done. Take the chicken and stick it in the microwave to keep warm while i make the gravy with the juice, which....i just had about 3 spoonfuls of flour into a cup with some salt and pepper, add cold water, mix it with a fork until disovled, add that to the skillet, add some milk an dstir until thick, add seasonings to taste. And of course serve with mashed potatoes
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• For the very best fried chicken you need two things: cornstarch and lard.

Soak the chicken in salted buttermilk for a couple hours before frying. Combine flour, corn starch (about 3:1 with the flour being the 3), salt & fresh ground pepper (white is especially good for chicken), paprika, and a bit of poultry seasoning (Penzey's is really good). Take the chicken from the buttermilk and dip directly into the flour to coat. Dip in egg wash, then back in the flour. Now the trick to keeping the yummy coating on the chicken, let it sit 10 minutes after the second flour dredging. While it's sitting, heat a deep sided skillet (cast iron works great) and add lard until you have about 2-3 inches of melted lard in the pan. Add the chicken, dark pieces first. After 6 or 7 min, add the white meat. Dark meat needs a little bit longer to cook, so this will keep the breasts from drying out.cont..
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Fry each piece until it has a deep golden brown crust before flipping. Smaller pieces will be done in 15-20 minutes, larger pieces in 20-25 minutes. If you have the lard at the right temperature, not much gets absorbed, so it's not any unhealthier than frying it in oil, but it sure tastes a whole lot better!

The cornstarch in the flour makes the coating crisper, and lighter also.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• when you dredged your chicken in the flour mixture let it sit in the fridge for an hour before cooking it. Thats the magic trick! You can also get that "fried" texture and taste by baking and then pulling it out 10 minutes before its supposed to be done and spraying it with pam for baking (has flour in it) and then finishing the baking. It gets nice and crispy
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• go the marthastewart.com. she has the best recipe - I've been using it for years and my children
    beg me to make it all the time.
    HWSmom1013

Answer by HWSmom1013 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009