What activities keep a very busy toddler happy?

My son is 17 months old and he is extremely busy. He's an only child and is constantly getting into things. Touching everything that isn't his. Even if we give him "adult type toys"...remote controls, cell phones, etc, he loses interest quickly in search of some thing else. He doesn't play with his toys long either..5 minutes tops. Are there any suggestions on toys or activities that may help? We live in an apartment complex and its a little too cold for outside play. We don't know any other kids around. Please help!

T-Babi

Asked by T-Babi at 1:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even if it's cold, bundle him up and bring him outside to play for a little while whenever possible. I had my 28 mos old twins out today for a half hour and it was somewhere in the 30's.
    Check your local paper: often times houses of worship will have a drop in play group once a week. Good for him and you to socialize and make friends!
    Check with your local Early Intervention as well because many of them have playgroups and you can participate as a community child (we do now that we're not in the program). Another great way to meet local moms.
    Often times shopping malls have a children's play space (not the one in the food court but an actual play space).
    Try creating a "schedule" for you and your son: a block of time to play with toys, a block of time to do "art" like coloring with crayons, finger paints, playdough, then a block of moving around, a block sitting and reading to him, singing to him etc. Check out the library
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Have you tried baby einstein? My girls loved these DVD's and it kept them very busy and stimulated their mind.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my 20 mo old is all over the place and whenever I can I get down and play with him. (he is an only child too) I think he just gets lonely and bored so I make dinner as fast as I can and clean when he's in bed. Even when I play with him he's everywhere but I'm more attentive and remind him, "hey what about elmo/ hey what about the truck" and it seems to work. The schedule thing is a great idea if especially if you are a SAHM. I have also found that I don't have to put too much thought into "activities" he likes to sit on his Elmo food catching mat thats under his highchair and point stuff out, sometimes even just playing with paper towel rolls or boxes or pots and pans is just as much fun as the expensive toys I have bought. lol
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2009