Are expensive vacuums worth the money?

I'm so sick of my hunk of junk vacuum. Everything on it is busted and now it is just blowing crap around instead of sucking it up. That thing is going in the garbage today and I'm buying a new one. I just looked at walmart.com and the vacuums go all the way up to $600.00! I'm sure I didn't pay more than $50 for this "thing" they marketed to me as a vacuum.

What kind of vacuum do you have? How much did it cost? Do you like it? Was it worth the money?

Help me ladies!!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Don't spend a ton of money on a vacuum. I spent almost $2000 on a vacuum once and it didn't last any longer than my $150 one. It lost suction fast and was a pain to work.

The brands that are good are Orek, Dyson, and Hoover. Stick with those and go with features you like rather than price. I would also check it out on ConsumerReports.com if you are planning on spending a lot.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I bought the Bissell healthy home instead of the Dyson. I paid about $250 for it and it will literally suck the floor up. Its as powerful as the Dyson but not nearly as expensive. I could not believe what came out of my carpet. Look for reviews on the net too. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have the bissel power something . It is blue and was less than $100.00. It is bagless and i have had it over a year and had no problems. The first time i used it i couldn't believe the crap the old one left behing. And still everytime i vacuum it picks up tons of stuff. So my cheap one is still going strong. But i wouldn't spend over $250.00 for one. IF you want buy a little more expensive one. I am sure they are somewhat better. Just prob don't go overboard. on lots of things you are paying for the name. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• We have an Bissell we paid about $60 for on sale. It sucks up anything I have thrown at it, from dirt to kitty litter. We have had it about 5 years now and it works as good as the day we bought it. We keep all threads and things off the rollers, and keep watch to make sure nothing has blocked the hose or air filters.
    cheesybite

Answer by cheesybite at 3:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have a Kirby. With 2 cants and 2 dogs it was worth the money.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have a kirby too and I looove it! I have area rugs in my house and I take so much dirt out of them when I really vacuum them well. I love when I am vacuuming and I can see the vacuum sucking up the rug as I vacuum it. The proof is in the bag! Paid $1500.00 for mine and I would do it again! I also had allergies really bad but have not had any problems with them since...no lie!
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 4:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I usually paid like $100 a year for a vacuum, and each one worked terrible. I've had two kenmores, I don't know how many GE's, and finally I broke down and bought a dyson. so Far, I really like it, but I'm just praying that nothing goes wrong with it. I paid like $300 or $400 for it. Can't remember now, but I did buy the warrenty this time.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2009