What to do about "soft water" in an apartment...

I just moved into my new apartment and have figured out I have "soft water". Since its not an individual home is there anything I can do about it? And what kind of effects does it have on skin and hair?

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

• be happy- I have hard water, it leaves hardwater stains on everything, even when washing your car.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Soft water is good, hard water is bad, you don't have to do anything. It will make your hair and skin softer, it won't stain your bath tub or toilet. People (like myself!) pay good money to BUY a water softener! Enjoy your free soft water =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Soft Water Can Save You Hard Cash

The term "hard water" was originally coined to refer to water that was difficult or hard to work with. Hard water requires much more soap, shampoo or detergent than soft water, so your soap products don't stretch nearly as far. The effects of hard water are felt most often in daily household activities such as cleaning. The minerals present in hard water inhibit soap's lathering and cleaning capabilities.

no worries. soft water is generally better than hard water. most minerals we need are in trace amouts which we mostly get through food. hard water adds extras.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• LOL well i noticed that my hair doesn't have as much volume to it as it did in my old place with "normal" water...and it seems like it is harder to tell when all the soap/shampoo is rinsed off...
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• oh yea, i noticed that when i lived in Spokane- (they have soft water) my hair grew faster. No scientific evidence, but thats what i noticed.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Another perk with soft water is you save lots of money on soaps...you don't need to use nearly as much as you do with hard water, you'll get much more lather with a tiny amount now, same with your dishwasher, washing machine, etc...so go light with the soap. My feet used to be so hard and dry and gross, and it just dawned on me that since we installed our water softener in October I haven't had to exfoliate them ONE time! They are so smooth =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You'll use less shampoo and less soap. Also less dishwasher, dish, and laundry detergent. Tide and All are notorious for over-sudsing in soft water. I don't use them, but what I do use I use about 3/4 of the recommended amount. I find when we are on vacation that I have much more trouble lathering up when I shower, and I don't feel quite clean- as if the soap isn't rinsing all off.

Answer by Bmat at 1:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009