what do you consider to be a "first word"

What is a "first word"? Indirect words which they can easily form, like mama, dada, baba, gaga? or intentional words where they understand the labelling process: "mama" to mama, "up" etc...? My son is 11 m/o and says indirect words all the time, but last week he said DADDY to daddy and yesterday he said PEE PEE after I told him "time to change the pee pee diaper" and these words came out of nowhere and he hasnt said them since. he laughed after we asked "did you say DADDY" or "did you say PEE PEE", hoping he's say them again. I think of the laughter reaction as his way of saying "yeah i just said something I understand!"

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• 1 or 2 Syllables
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I think if they direct the word to a person or thing, they def have said they're first word. My son's 9 months old, he has now said dada, mama, doggy, nana, and what kinda sounds like fishy. He points to the fish when we ask him where's the fishy, and when we say where's dada..where's mama, etc..he looks for us, or right at us. He see's us, and say's mama, or dadda or nana. SO I say his first word was dada, because that was the first person he looked at and said it.
    Anonymous

• i agree w/pp...if they say something and obviously know what they are refering to, than it's a first word....dd's first real word was "gog" for dog, in reference to our dog billy...i guess that shows DF and i where we stand in her book=)
    charlysmom08

Answer by charlysmom08 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2009