• In the Spotlight:

which is better in the long run

I will be a new parent and was just wondering which is better in the long run price and leak protection wise huggies or pampers? and aslo which is more cheaper homemade baby food or the preparde babyfood?

FirstTimeMom102

Asked by FirstTimeMom102 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Home made is cheaper. Cloth diapers are better in the long run to be honest. :) I don't know about either of those diapers. We used eco friendly disposables and luvs when we had to run out and get some diaps in an emergency. We never had an issue with luvs though.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I did not have any luck with Huggies or Pampers. I actually prefer the target brand, and for a big box it is 13.69.
    It is a lot more cost effective to make your own baby food, and it is not that hard to do. I always bought some because it was easy to grab and very portable when you needed to go some where.
    Congrats on the upcoming arrival!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Don't buy luvs, they are cheap but that is because they are garbage and leak.
    Anonymous

• I would assume homemade would be cheaper because you pay for a can of green peas what you would pay for a jar of baby food and you could probably get at least 3 or 4 feedings out of it. I just bought the baby food because I was short on time and taking care of 2 kids. If you have the time go ahead and try it. I used Huggies with my first son and I LOVED them..until he got older and he would leak through almost every night so i ended up having to wake him up about 1 o'clock to change him I then started using Luvs and had no issues. With my second son I used Luvs the whole time they were great.

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 1:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I used Luvs actually, they are like Pampers but cheaper. $15.87 for a case at Target. Diapers shouldn't leak if you change them frequently. At times they might leak if baby does explosive poops or has diarrhea no matter what brand of diaper you use. And as for baby food, I buy the jars Gerber or Beechnut. They are cheap and you don't have to take so much time in preparing the food. Produce is so expensive lately, you will probably spend more buying that and preparing it. Good luck to you and your new bundle of joy!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Cloth diapers are the cheaper way to go (but I don't use those). I pay a lot more for good diapers, Pampers Swaddlers, b/c they don't leak. I found that I was changing my clothes more, my DD clothes more and cleaning up stuff more w/cheaper diapers b/c she'd leak so much. Yes, homemade baby food is sooo much cheaper! I have bought a few jars to have for something fast or if I'm not going to be at home and they usually run about $.50 a jar, when I can buy a lb. of fruit or veggies for like $1.50 and fill up about 4 or 5 jars.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I love Luvs! I have had way more blowouts on Huggies than Luvs... Pampers Swaddlers were great too but too pricey (so are huggies but those were gifts) Homemade baby food is better all around too... the cost of a food proccessor if you dont have one is way better than the cost of baby food in the long run.
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 3:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Some store brand diapers have actually gotten better. We use either Kirkland from Costco or MOM-to-MOM from safeway/vons. Homemade babyfood is cheaper. I would buy babyfood while traveling just so I didn't have to refrigerate it. Once we checked for allergies we would just give the babies whatever we are eating.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009