EMT's-do you look for medical ID?

I'm ordering my son's new medical ID. He wants something fun this time, and I found a band with a slider ID. The front has the medical symbol, but you have to slide it off to see the info on the bottom. Are you trained to look for this? Any tips for what to engrave? I usually put Type 1 iddm, lantus/humolog, Check BG first, and a contact number. Thanks for any help, these things are too expensive and too important.

shabby.chic

Asked by shabby.chic at 1:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

• My husband is a paramedic. He always looks for things like that. They are trained to know most of the medications that people take and what the abbreviations are so that looks fine to me (I work in health care too).

What I would suggest to you is find out who your local 911 provider is and call their office number. I know that my husband's firehouse always appreciates it when someone calls, gives their address and explains that there's someone in the house with a special need/cirumstance in case there are any calls there. When I worked in an ER, a family called their local EMS provider and the ER to let us all know about a device their child had implanted and there actually was a call to their house. Prior knowledge that of the child's special condition and his device actually saved his life. I can't guarantee that your local ER or EMS would take your call and this info if you called but it is worth a shot.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009