are power cords for laptop computers interchangable ?

my powercord stopped working there is on on amazon with the same markings it is even made for gateway and looks just like mine but my model isn't listed will it work ?

CSRodriguez

Asked by CSRodriguez at 1:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• normally on the back of the Power cord there is voltage, current, and power rating for the plug. (v- , ma, watts)
    usually depending on the type of adapter that connects to the computer (the style of plug), they can be interchangeable. Make sure the ratings that i said above are the same.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Thank you that is what I thought but don't want to shell out cash for nothing Thanks again
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 2:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Be very careful, I bought a generic power cord for an answering machine, even with the same information on it, and it fried the answering machine.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• check out the vendor site to see what part # you would be. Then go to Google and search for it. You can usually find for cheaper than the orig vendor. Don't get it from fishy spots- Like Bobs low down deals or something. Just an example
    casd

Answer by casd at 2:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• try ebay ... i get mine from there and there are like 15 dollars with free shipping
    smilingmomma

Answer by smilingmomma at 3:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009