Can you still nurse if you have a cold??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes continue to breast feed it will protect your LO from the cold.I breastfeed mine through three colds this season that got everyone in the house except my baby thanks to the antibodies in my breast milk.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yes!!
    Anonymous

• OP here, would that give the cold to your baby?

Anonymous

• Yes you can. Wash your hands carefully. I put a towel around my mouth and nose to keep from breathing on the baby, but you could use a mask, too. Especially if you are coughing- you don't want to cough in the baby's face.

Answer by Bmat at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes. If it becomes anything else though go to your doctor immediately. You can do all kinds of things while nursing and it wont affect your milk. You can even have a drink a day and it wont affect your milk.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's actually the best time to nurse because you are passing your antibodies onto your baby through the milk and it keeps them from getting sick.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes, in fact, I believe its good for the baby because he/she gets all the antibodies in your system that are trying to fight off the cold...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The baby wont get a cold from through your milk.
    Anonymous

• Well, I guess you give technically give a cold to the baby-but have tissues next to you so that you don't sneeze all over them-good handwashing.
    Anonymous

• yes it is good for the baby. your milk has antibodies in it.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009