DNA Testing While Pregnant... Best method?

I have a loving relationship with my SO, but I made a huge mistake and had an affair the week before the conception date my doctor gave me. Knowing that sperm can live for 3-7 days, it is too close for comfort!

Telling my SO is likely to cause a seperation. I think the best thing for me, the baby, and for him is to bury the mistake as much as possible.

That being said, I'm willing to take our chances on prenatal DNA testing (otherwise it would just be abortion I'm very sorry to say!) Does anyone have advice on prenatal DNA testing? Is there a way to get prenatal DNA testing without the potential father knowing?

(Please no bashing - there's already one of us doing enough of that, thanks)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Umm, in order to test the DNA to determine paternity, the father would need to be tested for comparison. So, gettingfat89, the doctor-patient confidentiality rules would be pointless. The SO will HAVE to know, because they will have to get his DNA to compare to the baby's DNA.

Also, any competent OB/GYN will not do an amnio for something like this. It is far too risky. If you want to know for sure, fess up to your SO, have the baby, and if the test results aren't what you wanted,...well, there are a lot of people in this world who wouldn't care who the Father is--They would just be thankful for the miracle of a baby to love and nuture. Let one of them enjoy the pleasures of parenthood. Good Luck.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 2:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No, he will have to sign saying that he wants the DNA test. Besides, a DNA test while still pregnant is VERY risky and expensive.
    Anonymous

• CVS or an Amnio, you can get an amnio at 16 weeks and see if its your SO's baby
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sounds like you just need to put the baby up for adoption since you are putting your boyfriend ahead of your child. That's pretty sorry of you in my opinion. But to answer your question, no, he will have to know about it first.
    Anonymous

• its possible, your doc can do an amniocentisis(sp?) but as far as I know many doctors will only do them if there is a medical reason to do so. I would talk to your doctor and see if he or she is willing to do one for that reason.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• there is a patient doctor confidentiality agreement you sign...you doc doesn't have to tell anyone but you anything about your pregnancy, not even your SO. So like I said yea its risky, but if its really what you want to do talk to your doc.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• in order to have your SO dna tested he will have to sighn a form stating its ok to do so. He will know just testing babies dna isnt going to tell you who the dad is.
    Most drs wont do a amnio till 16wks but i think there is another CVS test that can be done early on but its very risky and can cause miscarriege.
    does he know your pregnant? and does he know it might not be his? Also i think you would regret a abortion in the end. If you wana talk some more you can send me a messege. Good luck.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• To comment on Anonymous, which I doubt she'll read this anyway, you might want to consider the type of life a child will have with a father versus without one. And adoption would be just another testament to my infidelity. Personal attacks really have no place here and if you're anti-abortion then hold your piece and talk in some anti-abortion venue. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• You would have an abortion b/c of your mistake? First of all, that is selfish. You are going to have to wait until baby is born and your SO WILL need to sign the papers, no sneaky way around it. You should tell him about it now before he finds out later..... what's a relationship if you are hiding such a thing? JMO.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2009