How do you potty train an outside puppy?

I have 11 weeks old terrier puppy; we have her outside in the backyard with her house and bed. She'll pee and poo everywhere. How do I potty train her to do it on the same spot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Why would you get a terrier if you were going to keep the poor thing outside??
    Anonymous

• I don't think I've ever seen a potty trained dog. That would be awesome though. Now a house trained dog is easy, but if she is only allowed outside then what does it matter. Animals won't potty where they sleep, so if she is doing this, then you are doing something wrong, or her house is too big. You are supposed to let them grow into their bed, not be swallowed up by it.
    Anonymous

• Keep the dog in a crate at night until trained. They will not pee/poop where they sleep.
    Anonymous

• If yo u only want her to eliminate in one place, you can get a pee post. They sell them at most pet stores. You stick it in the ground, and it emits out pheromones that draw your pet to it.

To be honest though, I've also never heard of a "potty trained" dog. lol
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• If you are keeping the dog outside, then what purpose would you have for wanting the dog to potty in the same spot????
    Anonymous

• first of all the poor thing ESPECIALLY a puppy shouldn't be outside only. At 11 weeks he hasn't had all of his shots and can get very sick if he catches something. Secondly, you can't potty train an outside dog. b/c it's where they play, poop, sleep everything. They don't distinguish. Bring the poor thing in. geez. Its a terrier. Why do people get dogs just to leave them outside? They are affectionate animals and like to feel loved. pisses me off.
    FYI Pee Posts DONT work.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• What's the point of having a dog if you're just going to keep it in the backyard?
    Anonymous