When did you have your child eat dinner with you?

My daughter will be 1 this week, and we have been feeding her an hour earlier than us, and giving her mostly toddler dishes. M question is when should I start feeding her at the same time we eat, and what is some good advice? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has been eating with us since he could sit steadily at the table, which was also about the same time that he started yelling if he wasn't included. That happened when he was about 8 months old. He doesn't get "toddler food" exactly, he gets toddler friendly versions of what we're eating. I shred his meat, mash up beans, and so on but he pretty much eats what we do and has since he began sitting at the table.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• By the time my son was one, he ate the same foods as us at the same time. He also spoon fed himself... I would say the best way to do it is to make dinner a little earlier aybe 30 minutes for a few weeks til she adjusts to that wait, then start making it at your regular time. I would say don't give her a snack because then she won't eat much for dinner and will be hungry later on. Good Luck!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I always fed my children the same time we all ate. Unless the baby is hungry earlier. It makes them feel like part of the family, which they are.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son is 8 months and he eats at his high chair at the table with us. Ever since he started eating babyfood he has always eaten at the table with us.
    Anonymous

• My kids always ate with us. Part of learning to eat is social and I never wanted my babies left out.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It all depends on what works for your family. I'd love to have my daughter eat dinner with us. As another poster points out, it makes them feel like part of the family. It also encourages them to eat a much wider variety of foods since they see everyone else eating them. For us though, it hasn't worked out yet. She goes to bed too early - just after daddy gets home from work - and when I try to delay her dinner so she can eat with us, she is just so tired that she won't eat at all. So, she has dinner earlier and is in bed by the time we eat.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My kids have always had meals with us at the table.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 3:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• As soon as possible, would be my advice. As soon as my kids showed any interest, we sat them up there with us. The sooner you do it, the easier it will be! Plus it makes for great fun at the dinner table to have the little ones with you.
    HarleyQ

Answer by HarleyQ at 3:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When DD could sit steadily she sat at the table with us--around 9 months. That was around the time I started offering more finger foods (in the tiniest of tiny chunks). She eats everything that I eat--I never gave her Gerber graduates and she had no baby food past 11 months.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Also wanted to add that eating is a social activity as much as a physical one and children learn a great deal about food and how to eat by watching you. Also, toddlers who eat with the rest of the family tend to be less picky in their food choices and they tend to graduate to adult foods with less difficulty because they're imitative and want to try the same things you're eating.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009