My 13 month old fell and busted his lip. . .

This is the first time I have seen him bleed.:( I'm not sure what to do. It is swelling up and I'm trying to put a cold compress on it but, other than that, what should I do?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is about all you can do. If it starts turning black your blue then take him to the er, cause their may be more extensive damage.
    Anonymous

• this happened to my son last summer! he was riding on his little truck outside and hit a rock and went flying face first into the ground. he busted his lip and had scratches all over his face it was soo bad. i just put ice on the swelling, and stopped the bleeding, and gave him tylenol to ease the pain. swelling went down in a couple days and he was all good!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• That's what I would do... unless its a horrible cut and he's gushing blood... compress, tylenol, and lots of extra love!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Popsicles are great, they keep them interrested longer. Just make sure it is not gaping open and showing 'inside' flesh, then he may need stitches. good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yup with DD I just pressed a damp cool wash cloth against her lip. Once she had stopped screaming, I checked her teeth (to make sure none had shoved through the gum) and her lip, to check how deep the wound was. Usually those busted lips heal up within a few days. DD's had about 4 so far! No scars or anything :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You done good...my DD has had a few and she is 17 months. She is my little dare devil. I usually clean her up check everything and hand her a popsicles. I found popsicles work wonders compared to the compress. There usually isn't any fussing unless I try to hold it for her.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 12:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2009