my 4 week old son wont sleep in his crib

its mostly my fault. He's my first child and i had a tendancy to hold him alot when we brought him home. We also let him sleep in our bed. But now im trying to get him to sleep in his crib and he wont do it. We will hold him til he falls asleep then lay him down. Usually within 5 minutes he's up screaming. . He will go all day with out napping and be so tired he cant keep his eyes open but still wake up screaming. We usually do really good not giving in during the day but about midnight i am so tired that i usually give in because i cant keep my eyes open. and unfortunately my fiancee works so much i dont have alot of help. . Anybody have any suggestions? Ive gotta get him out of our bed. . And Soon!!! By the way we already swaddle him, play music, use a pacifier, talk to him. . Everything we can think of.

mandar

Asked by mandar at 2:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats hoe my daughter is shes 4 weeks as well and NOTHING works... sometimes though ill hold her until she falls asleep into a DEEP sleep.. ill pick her hand up and if it just DROPS i know shes in a deep sleep and ill lay her down by trying not to move her too much and lay next to her for a little bit so she still knows im around her or in your case if you want her in her crib just stand there and put your hand on her for a little bit and i take a blanket and just put it across her tightly not like swaddling bc my daughter HATES to be swaddled but just around her and shell sleep for a good few hours... but this only works SOMETIMES lol

other wise i have to give in and let her lay on my chest or hold her and sleep with the boppy around me.. its uncomfortable sometimes but we all need sleep...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• When my was this little he wouldn't sleep well in his crib either My advice hold yours as much as he wants, you can't spoil them at this age. In fact your LO will do better if you do hold him. He will be confident and secure. Just keep trying to put him to sleep in the crib. He will start to give you longer and longer periods in there as he adjusts to this new world.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have the same issue with my nearly 3-week old daughter. According to my pediatrician, a lot of babies won't really cooperate until around 6-weeks of age or 12 pounds. He says they're still too little, etc. I've been sleeping with my daughter because I need sleep, too and it's the only thing that works. She will nap on her own during the day but night is another story. I say, keep trying, or start slowly by trying to get him to nap on his own during the day. I find that breastfeeding helps her fall asleep and if I stay and pat her back she is comforted.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I know I'll get bashed for this, but oh well. All three of my babies where tummy sleepers. I know, I know they are not suppose to sleep on their tummies, but that was the only time they would sleep and not wake up within 30 minutes of putting them down. Of course, that was after we spent the first 4 to 6 weeks sleeping in the recliner together.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Babies are meant to be comforted by their parents. No music, paci, or swaddler can give him the security you can. This isn't a problem. Just let him sleep with you. Being alone is a very scary thing for a newborn. Why put him through that?
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009