I don't know what to do

So first I will give you a little background. My great grandmothers both had breast cancer, my grandma got breast cancer for her second time (once in each breast) on 06' my mom was 37 and got regular mammograms she found a lump in 07' about two months after a normal mammogram went in and her cancer was already in stage four so she had to have a surgery the very next week to have both breasts removed. I do not have health insurance and my right breast is really hard. I thought maybe I was just looking too far into the situation so I kept an eye on it and over the last two weeks it has gotten more firm. It is almost double the size of my left breast. I am not sure what to do. I can't afford a mammogram and I am scared to know at this point. Please does anyone have any advice? Maybe a way to get a low cost or free mammogram?

ELEMommy

Asked by ELEMommy at 2:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Health

• Call the hospital and ask, or ask your doctor. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 2:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• The free clinic here gives vouchers for low cost mammograms. Call your local one. Good luck.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It sounds like there could actually be an infection rather than a tumor. A tumor will generally feel like a lump rather than a swollen breast. Have you been breast feeding? If you are weaning you child from the breast a duct could be clogged, causing the swelling. Unfortunately the only real way to know for certain is to visit a doctor. I would do an internet search for low-cost or free clinics in your area. They may not be able to do the mammogram themselves, but they may be able to point you in the right direction!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Most places have grant programs that provide for free mammograms.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009