can anyone help me with my ADHD son???

HELP PLEASE!!! im almost 23 and my son is almost 6. he has ADHD and im not sure how to deal with it. he wont listen to me, he does not behave in school, and no matter what i take away from him it does not work. i have taken his toys for a few days i have take his t.v for a couple of days and it does not seem to work. what can i do?

lovelyladyroe

Asked by lovelyladyroe at 2:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Has he been tested and diagnosed with ADHD?

If not, get him tested. If he has, then you should have resources available to help you. Like Dr's, therapists maybe a special program to teach you and him how to deal.

Call your childs pediatrician if he REALLY has ADHD you need help from a professional. He deserves it. And if you just suspect ADHD then get him tested so you know for sure.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• discipline to start... and keep your foot down with it... down just give up like youre doing.
    Anonymous

• It doesnt sound like she's giving up to me, it sounds like she is looking for answers. And discipline is not always the answer if he truely has ADHD. A different approach sometimes is needed when dealing with ADHD.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Has he been diagnosed with ADHD? If not he needs to be evaluated and a treatment plan set up. If he is on meds, they may not be working and may need to be changed. What helps with my son is a strict schedule and routine, especially bedtime. If he doesn't get enough sleep he is horrible to deal with. Also, him seeing a counselor to help with behavior issues and issues with the ADHD is very helpful. Look for someone that deals with kids with ADD/ADHD. Counseling made a huge difference with my son. LOTS of patience from you also helps, I know that can be difficult but it does help. Try not to yell either, LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Structure, routine and consistency.

Also praising good behavior in small time blocks.

Another thing to look into is his diet, keep track for a couple of weeks of what he eats and if it is a good or bad day. Things you don't expect could be affecting him, for example my son cannot drink Tang- he tried it once about 10 years ago and was so off the freaking walls I have NEVER let him try it again.

Instead of yelling try whispering, he will have to quiet down to hear you.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2009