I have a curiosity question. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes

If you are on foodstamps and only one person works outside of the household, the other person is a stay at home parent...then why doesn't the other go to work until they are better off financially? I know that some people love being stay at home parents and I do not knock that choice...but if you are in a hard financial time, then why not go to work to help get your family on their feet? Is it because of daycare cost or other reasons? I'm just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish that government assistance programs were only for those who are working, going to school or doing something to better themselves. Sorry...not for SAHM who sit there and at holier than thou just because "they are raising their kids and not someone else!". If you can afford to stay at home then you don't need MY tax dollars feeding YOUR kids...

you can be a stay at home parent and still go to school so those people should not get benefits because they are going to school from home.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Why do you worry so much about how other people live their life?
    Anonymous

• I know a couple people who are on them and if they both work then they make too much money to qualify. The whole food stamps program needs some major reform.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Excellent question, funny how as a working mom I am often told I am not raising my own children by SAHMs, only to find that not only am I helping to support my family, I'm helping to support their lazy butt too. Its total BS. And let's be clear, I'm only talking to those who are SAHMs, anyone else on food stamps that is out there busting their butts, I am NOT talking to you.
    Anonymous

• well my thing is daycare right now we looked into it honestly but it would not be feesible for me to go to work just to hand it all to day care i plan on going back this summer for a seasonal job so my daughter who is seventeen can watch the baby i wont have to pay her as much as daycare lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Some people are unwilling to make sacrifices in order to be self sufficient.

Hubs and I in no way could afford daycare for 3 kids if we both worked. It'd be insane. So instead, we've freaking worked opposite shifts since we've had kids(if I'm working...I don't always work). It sucks monkey balls but that's what we have to do sometimes to provide for our family and not leech off the system. Considering we're both capable and not lazy.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My family is not on food stamps, nor do we receive any form of help. But how dare you? Some people stay at home because they have to. My family is going through a hard financial time, but because day care cost so much I would make negative money if I worked.
    Anonymous

• I am not one of those people on food stamps that you are referring to but I do know people in that situation and I do know that daycare costs have a lot to do with that reason, especially if they have more than one child. The money that you would make working outside of the home who cover child care and that is about all, so if you have the choice to go out and work and stay home with your kids, neither bringing in income, then what would you chose? Seems like an easy decision to me.
    MrsThomas55

Answer by MrsThomas55 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• anon i am a stay at home mom right now and very far from being lazy. i am sure you are doing a great job raising you kids but dont knock me cause i am not working
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• munch am i lazy?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2009