concerned....

My dd is 7 she has been shy about dressing in front of people or them seeing her naked. She joined swim team where she has had to get used to dressing in front of people. Now it seems she is the exact opposite. She has run through the house in her underwear and giggles when someone is there like she wants to get caught. I just disciplined her for it so I hope that is the end of it. It really concerned me to see her go the extreme opposite, but she has been way more comfortable and outgoing in alot of areas the last year or so which I am grateful for. Anyone else seen this? Too me it seems like she is trying to get attention by showing her body but it could be me overreacting to a child thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is that normal for a swim team for kids to HAVE to get dressed in front of everyone?

I have never been on a swim team or anything, but that would bother me, a lot.

Is that the norm for kid swim teams?
    Anonymous

• OP Here I think it is normal for swim team, and hasn't been a problem...it is a big open dressing room but only has a stall for the toilet. The kids all shower together in their suits and Im in there..then they get dressed. I have encouraged her to be comfortable in front of others...but now she is showing off and taking it the opposite extreme. IDK if I should just monitor, be concerned or maybe it is normal for kids her age???IDK
    Anonymous

• My stepson is 6 and he is completely oblivious to there being anything wrong with walking around with no clothes on, or shutting the door when he goes potty, etc...we are working on explaining to him the difference between appropriate/inappropriate behavior in this area, but I would find it much more strange at this age if he were shy about it. Not that I'm saying there is anything strange about your daughter's previous behavior, but I think it's normal for a child her age to not feel very shy about being seen undressed.
    Was she shy before because you had explained that it's not appropriate to be seen with no clothes on? Sorry, I know I'm not being very helpful but just wanted to let you know that I'm currently living with a 6 year old who feels no shame before a bath to go running naked into the living room to get a toy to take in with him, not matter who is in the living room!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I will add though that my stepson definitely doesn't go around naked for attention - he just doesn't realize that there's anything inappropriate about it... So I might be a little concerned if he was running around the house without clothes looking for attention - although your daughter may just be re-living the fun of the lockerroom, rather than it being directly tied to not wearing clothes....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• OP She was just shy in general and has broken out of her shell the last yr or so. I left her father when she was 3 and it has always been just us (and still is) but she has really just blossomed lately and started trying new things...now she is very social and i tink she is maybe just immature in this area cause she hasn't been exposed to alot of people in our private space.
    Anonymous

• She may be feeling more comfortable with her body. My daughter is on swim team and yes they have a big dressing room where all the girls change in front of each other. There are other women there as well. My daughters seemed unconcerned about dressing in front of others at home, so we just talked to them when we felt they reached a certain age that they needed to be more modest at home. So far it has seemed to work. They dress in the bathroom or their bedroom when daddy is home, but we don't stress the issue when its just us girls
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• my SD is 8 and has just recently started getting more modest, but then 5 minutes later she won;t care as much. before that she always just walked around in her underwear half the time. my SS who is 5 use to run around and show off that he was naked around bath time and such when he was 3 and 4, but has since got out of that partly becuase we told him to stop and also becuase i think the modesty bug is contagious. becasue sometimes he wants to change where you cant see him and other times he couldnt careless.

i would just explain to her that she shouldn't be running around naked. that in the locker room when you are changing its okay and before you get inthe shower or changing or whatever, but that she can't be doing that with other people around.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009