Spin off of another question. As a working parent would you rather....

pay more in taxes to go toward helping people with food stamps or having the people on them get a job and then paying to help them pay for daycare? A lot of people have said that they stay at home and get food stamps since the cost of daycare is so high. But, if they went out and got a job then they'd probably qualify for daycare assistance. Isn't it cheaper for us for them to stay home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As a working mom I'd rather my tax dollars go to someone who is going to work and me helping with child care versus food stamps. I'm sorry but if you claim that you can "afford" to stay home then you don't need any government assistance. Shoot where is MY (and my DH) assistance as a middle class working woman who gets into financial crunches all of the time?? The middle class always gets screwed.So no I don't want to pay for a stay at home moms food stamps...sorry.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't get ANY assistance, and I am a SAHM. Does that make me a bad person. My mother raised me, and her mother raised her. Its a damn shame that more people don't raise their children. Just because someone is a SAHM doesn't mean that they are lazy or on welfare.
    Anonymous

• Agree!!

And anon303-you clearly don't see what I am talking about.
    Anonymous

• I would probably have to pick the daycare. I'm not saying all or oven most abuse the system but many do and FS program needs some major reform. Many states to give out day care vouchers if you qualify and i think it's a great program. it promotes working and personal responsibility.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• where are the fun questions
    Anonymous

• I think it is good for society if kids have a parent hm when young, I would rather my taxes go to helping a parent be home.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I would prefer to pay for childcare expenses, not for someone to get the LUXURY of being home with their children when I can not. Anon 3:03, this is about SAHM's on food stamps, not SAHM's whose family really CAN afford for you to be home.
    Anonymous

• wow it amazes me that some one would rather pay 1700 dollars a month in child care then to pay 200-300 for food stamps. and if you think that daycare price is way to high it not. i had three kids in day care all day Monday thru Friday and that is what it cost and it was a crappy daycare.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You CAN have both, it's just not easy or convenient. DH works Fri-Tuesday 5pm to 130 am. I work wed-fri 4-11 and Saturday from 12-4 His parents watch the kids on fridays. It sucks, but we are putting money away and no one else is raising our kids.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

some people do not have family that can watch there kids.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009