What is wrong with this dog that has newly became a mother?

My aunt's dog had a puppy... it's 4 weeks old now. I notice that the mother of the puppy is very aggressive with her to the point where the puppy starts crying. If the puppy is walking, the mother will pounce on it and start biting her neck or "slapping" her around. I thought at first she was playing with her puppy or teaching it to defend itself but she is so rough. Someone has to be there and watch them together because the mom will take advantage if she thinks we're not watching. When we get up to help the puppy the mother runs away... when we walk away, the mother will come charging back and jump on the puppy. This isn't normal right? How do I stop it?

viv212

Asked by viv212 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Some dogs are that way. They don't love their young. Mom needs to be spayed, your aunt needs to take the baby over until weaned. The vet or pet store can tell her what to do.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• She might have mastitis... my friends dog had puppies and about a month later, she started snapping the pups and biting them, growling at them. Even if they just walked past she would lunge at them.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We had a Yorkie/Shih Tzu that was the same way. She NEVER physically hurt her puppies but her puppies would cry like they were being murdered. This can be a normal behavior! This is how mothers teach their puppies to be submissive! Unless she is physically hurting her pup I wouldn't do anything about it. If they puppy doesn't have puncture wounds or any other injuries then there is no harm in what the mother is doing. This behavior will turn the pup into a submissive dog!

Anonymous

• I think its just crazy!!! lol Just kidding. Had to give you a hard time you know. She probably just doesnt like her baby.
    jillybean1

Answer by jillybean1 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It sounds like to me she's starting the weaning process. That's what they'll do when a pup goes to suck and they don't want it to.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 10:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Okay I'm confused. lol
    viv212

Answer by viv212 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009