If a baby will nurse for two hours contently, while swallowing...

and fall asleep, then the minute he is pulled away, will wail insessantly or sleep for 30 minutes the demand the breast again for two hours and this continues for a month. Would you think he would be better off with formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like cluster feeding and a growth spurt. check out these articles on www.kellymom.com:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

It sounds completely normal for a new baby. The first 2-3 months are hard but worth the effort! Good luck mama!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No. Nursing is a comfort thing, not just a feeding thing.
    Anonymous

• No. I would try a paci, unless you are opposed to them. He is not nursing for two hours straight, he is using the nipple as comfort. Try subsituting the nipple for something else. Don't give up on bf'ing!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Nope. He's just being a typical baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• He would take a paci. , but, when he was wanting to nurse..he wanted to nurse. He wasn't using it like soothing. He would be full on sucking and swallowing. I don't think it is satisfying for him. I did give him a bottle and for the first time, he was actually content for about 4 hours. He stayed awake and was alert and happy. Before, he was just nursing or screaming. Maybe the occasional 30 minute sleep.
    Anonymous

• Did you ask your pediatrician or a lactation consultant? If he's gaining weight then there's no problem. When I was in the hospital and still just on colostrum, my baby would go for like 90 mins. but once the milk came she cut down a lot. She can drain a whole boob in about 5-10 mins., but every baby is different. Is he falling asleep while suckling? Try to keep him awake or switch breasts halfway between.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Not at all. Breastfeeding is still better, nursing can be for comfort. My 8 month old will still do what you are discribing and knows better than to be tricked by a pacifier. Cold and plastic was not his idea of comfort.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 3:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I switched every 20 mins. Tried to burp him between. It's def. milk and no longer colostrum. Not falling asleep. Full on suckling. He did one boob 20 mins. then the other and back and forth for 2 hours until I pulled him off and held the paci in his mouth and swaddled him and rocked him. He finally slept for 30 mins. Just to start all over again. It's crazy. I've never seen such.
    Anonymous

• Oh it's probably a 'cluster feeding.' The lactation consultant at the hospital told me they go through these phases where they will feed like every hour non-stop. He may still be establishing your milk supply. How long has it gone on? He will probably stop soon. You should talk to a consultant. If you call a hospital that has one, they will give you advice for free.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have plenty milk. It pour all day. I have to wear nursing pads non stop. I can even self express 2 to 4 oz without too much effort. I couldn't imagine what a Medela would do.
    Anonymous