Is this normal behavior for a 6 year old?

This is kind of embarrassing. My son is 6 and is kindergarten. Today I got a call from the principal that he touched a girl on her private parts. I am speechless. I didn't know what to say. The principal said that little girl didn't know what was going on, so she didn't think anything was wrong. I am really upset by this because I have no idea where he would have gotten the idea to touch someone there. When I asked him why, he said it was because he wanted a baby sister. That makes no sense at all. I am really upset and I don't know how to handle this. Any help?

jll1484

Asked by jll1484 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mom, it sounds like he was trying to make a baby sister. I would tell him he cannot touch anyone there until ____________. Place whatever your views are there. I would also ask him if anyone has touched him there? Just to be safe.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Agree with the above.
    Anonymous

• I would just talk to him and let him know what he did was wrong. This way he understands that private parts are private and not for anybody to touch. Explain to him that he made this girl feel uncomfortable. Maybe he's just curious or something?
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• omg...talk to him..I'm sure this has happened before but you need to find out where he learned that...GL to you!
    Anonymous

• Did the principal explain in what way he touched her? And exaclty which "private parts" it was? It seems like this definitely could be innocent and an overreaction on the part of the school - my stepson pulled his pants down in the cafeteria last year (he was 5) and my husband and I were mortified - and he eventually told us that an older boy had dared him to...
    I will say that the fact that this touching behavior made him bring up the babysitter is a bit strange. Again, my 6 year old says things all the time that make NO sense, but you might want to try to get him to talk a little more about it. See if he can explain the connection with the babysitter....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• maybe he was playing like he was changing a diaper? or just curious. Im scared to death of the "playing dr" phase...Im sure it was a young curious thing so try not to overreact. Just talk to him...Im sure you arent the first mom with this phone call so don't be embarrassed...tell him it is not ok the touch privates and not to let someone touch him...maybe get a book. I wouldn't punish just yet unless he does it again...I think it is just time to have a talk about boundaries.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Are you going to have a talk with the Girl's parents??

Anonymous

• she said BABY SISTER not babysitter
    Anonymous

• aaha! baby sister! well that's a relief!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i would still be concernend. i was molested by my cousin when i was like 4-ish and he was 6-ish. We were kept apart of a long time, but eventually were allowed around one another. However, he started molesting me at some point (i dont remember when exactly) before I was 12 again and it happend off and on until i was 16. I didn't tell my mom about it until I was 17 when I also told her that i was not a virgin any longer.

i know that this might be very innocent, but because of my past experiences, I am very uneasy about all of this. i would be very concerned. I would talk to the school to get more details about what happened. I would also maybe talk to your doctor. And then after you have all that info if you feel that everything is just innocent curiousity or desire to have a sister, then leave it be, but if not, talk to a counselor.
    Anonymous