Is this abusing the place where you work?

Okay, so i am not sure what to think. My pretty good friend, who i also happen to work with, has been using company envelpoes and stamps to mail personal things. I only know of one bill for sure that i have seen her pay atleast twice using company stuff. So i don't know if that is the only one or if she does more. I don't really know what to think .I mean is is only .42 cents for the stams, and whatever for the company envelope, but i can't help but think it is wrong, because i struggle with money too, but i still manage to but stamps and envelpose, or pay online. And if she is doing it continusly, then i think that is wrong. What do you think? Should i say anything to her or just let it go? I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• If no one knows about it then it is wrong. If someone knows about it and she is only doing it once in awhile (less than $25 for the year) then no biggie. If more than once in awhile then she should be claiming it on taxes and such. But I am guessing she doesn't use that many envelopes!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I agree with kboney, for example, at my work as long as we don't abuse it we can take a stamp if needed and certainly use envelopes when needed. If I use 5 stamps and envelopes a year that would be alot, but again, we have the ok to do so.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Yes it is, but i wouldn't say anything about it. I use them sometimes at my work but Im the only employee and my boss doesn't care..but I would never take office supplies home...but I use the stamps sometimes.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I'll use an envelope on occassion and I use the postage meter, but give our receptionist the money for the postage. My boss knows I do it, and that several people do it, and she's fine with it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i think kboney gave the best answer but I only have one thing to add. If what she is doing is considered unethical I wouldnt tell on her if you want to maintain your friendship. May be tell her its a bad idea without telling her for ex "So one of my husbands coworkers was fired recently for using company property to mail out stuff. Can you believe it! Fired over a stamp and an envelope, I guess you can't be too careful these days!" or maybe get her a book of stamps and a box of envelopes and say "Hey, I noticed you forgot your stamps and envelopes and home and had to use some from work. I just thought I would give you these to make your day a little easier!"
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• She is wrong. I would most likely report her. If they will risk their job over the small stuff they will most definately risk it over theft of larger items. I fired someone over the theft of a roll of tape and empty video cases. Neither were that expensive but I knew if he got away with the small stuff he would most likely steal the bigger items. Turns out he was stealing the bigger items another employee told me after the fact he stole movies and candy all the time. The theft of even the smallest thing shows a lack of character. I would not want to work with someone like that.
    Anonymous

• In my profession we do it all the time, trashbags, toilet paper, paper towels. IDK, the money comes from the government, so its not such a big deal. If you take something big, you are going to jail because its a felony.
    Anonymous

• WOW! As a business owner of several businesses I would say YES what she is doing is wrong if the employer does not know about it. I do not think people realize how much money emplyees take from the employer on a regular basis. Personal phone calls on a company phone cost money (every minute costs a business unlike home phones), stamps, envelopes, paper, paper clips, staples anything and everything. Employees want raises, health benefits and bonuses. If no one wasted 5 minutes of work or used an employers items everyone could probably get a raise of 10 to 20 cents per hour. Though it does not seem like much up front a 10 cent raise could give you an additional $208 per year which could buy groceries for a week!

I saw that it was worse with a government job! And we wonder why our governement is struggling so....

Theft is theft! I know I would rather come from integrity than be a thief! I would talk with your friend!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009