Co-sleeping

My daughter is almost 3 weeks old and absolutely will not sleep in her bassinet at night. She is only content sleeping right next to me and since I breastfeed and am still recovering from a c-section that got infected, I have just gone with it. For those who co-slept, did your baby start sleeping on his/her own at some point and when? She will nap in her bassinet and swing, but at night I just want to get some rest and will give her what she wants so she's not up crying for hours. How can I get her to sleep on her own? I've tried everything, I have every gadget, but they say not to let a 3 week old "cry it out' so what the heck am I supposed to do?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 3:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is 9 months and half co-sleeps. her crib is up to my bed with the matresses level and the side off. i am used to sleeping near her so i am not worried about blankets or rolling ver her.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Couldn't even begin to tell you. My son co-slept until he was way in school. So, much easier to move him out. Although he will still sleep in my bed when sick.
    Anonymous

• It's much easier to co-sleep when you breast feed. But my son is 3 and still right next to me. We can't get him out, so beware. It's tough later on.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We co-sleep off and on. Mine is 11 months. When DH is gone, he sleeps with me and when DH is home we try to put him in his bed as much as possible. This has been our routine for quite awhile. About 8:00 (or when I get the older two into bed) DS comes to bed with me with a bottle and we snuggle until he falls asleep. After he has been asleep for about 10-15 minutes I put him in his own crib. Most nights this works and he doesn't wake up or when he does he gets himself back to sleep. I just kept putting him to bed in his crib, for naps and at night after he as gone to sleep. I think eventually he got used to waking up in his own bed. If he woke during the night I would usually put him in bed with me until he fell back to sleep or until morning if I fell asleep first.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Let her sleep with you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Babies need closeness w/ their mothers. It keeps her safe & comfy. Since you're in pain, you'll need her close to avoid getting up for night feedings. All kids leave the family bed when they're ready.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My baby is three weeks old too and in the exact same situation. He'll sleep in his bed for naps during the day only. I don't really know why. At first I wasn't going to co-sleep but it just sort of happened and I am not too worried about it. When he gets older to understand we will start weening him, but I am not going to let him cry it out now. He is too little. Crying is the only way he can tell me anything and if I ignore him, he will learn I won't be there when he needs me all the time.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have co-slept with all my kids. I move them at 2 because it's easy and that is how long I like them to stay. Nothing wrong with co-sleeping.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2009