for stay at home moms: how do you get organize with house chores and caring of your little ones?

I have a 8 months old and a 3 years old, and somedays I can't keep up cleaning after them, gorcery shopping, cooking, etc. etc. etc....!!!! AND HAVE TIME TO PLAY WITH THEM WITHOUT THINKING IN MY NEXT CHORE!!!! please tell what you do!!!!!

sami7jami8

Asked by sami7jami8 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• in my house, im trying to make chores fun and almost make it a game with my 2 year old. he helps me with unloading the dishwasher (actually he just handed me the silverware), he helps me put clothes in the dryer (i put the on the dryer door and he pushes them in and closes the door) and now he helps me put clothes in the washing machine (i put the clothes in a pile in front of the washer and he puts them in). i hope this helps. it helps us spend time together and get things done at the same time. :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I meal plan for three weeks at a time and major grocery shop once every three weeks. I run to the store for odds and ends once every two weeks, or hubby brings it home after work.

As for housework, I break it up and do one thing a day. Monday, laundry; Tuesday, vacuum; Wednesday, dust; Thursday, shop, Friday, clean bathroom (I don't clean the whole bathroom each time, but do one thing like the toilets one Friday and the tub/shower the next, etc.)
    I do major cleaning like polish floors, clean blinds, etc. about once every six months.

All during the week I keep the mail done as it comes in the door and log my receipts in our checkbook as they come in. I also file and make calls every two to three days.

This has helped keep our home relatively mess free and give me energy to play with DS, too. (he's two)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I let my house go a little bit. I work from home as well so that adds another task. For me, Ijust remind myself when i am lying on my death bed I'm not going to be thinking "If only I had washed one more dish" I'll be grateful for all the times I spent with my family and it is my goal that I never did something meaningless over spending time with my family. So I'll admit, my house isnt always spotless, and my laundry isnt always freshly pressed and put away, I dont always make a 4 course meal but my son always has my undivided attention when he needs and I spend my me time on me. Try and clean as you go but prioritize your tasks. Whatever doesnt get done will still be there tomorrow (unfortunately) Also your 3 year old is old enough to help out around the house. She can help fold laundry and help put away. She can also help put away dishes that go in the lower cabinets if you feel comfortable with it. Start em young i say!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh and one other trick I do is when I make a good meal I make 3 or 4 times what we will eat and I freeze the rest for a nigth when I dont feel like cooking. Soups and casseroles and pasta dishes all freeze great.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• honestly i cant keep up my husband throws his laundry everywhere so once a week i just clean everything if its not hung up or in a dresser its fair game. as for dishes thats a never ending task i keep the sink full of soapy dish water so they can put it in the sink or i can as i find it and then do it when the kids go to bed.
    Anonymous

• I am new at this SAHM thing and I have a 7 month old son, I try and keep organized with house chores and I admit its hard when your 7 month old wants your attention 24/7. I just go with the flow, dad works all day then comes home and plays his online computer games most of the time and its hard for me to do things. Recently we just moved and moving with a baby is the hardest thing ever, we did have gma babysit while we moved but the after part I try and put things away and its tough. I just take one day at a time and do laundry when I can. for the dishes at my old place I used to have a dishwasher and that was so much easier but now i dont, so i do each dish as I use it, it helps in the long run. Good luck and message me if you wanna talk sometime.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My son just turned one. He right now wants to be with me wherever I'm at in the house. So I try to do laundry late at night while he's sleeping. Same with the dishes, my husband likes to leave them wherever he is at the time. I wander through the house picking up dishes and piling them in the sink. I have tried to do housework while my son awake but it never seems to work for me. My husband is self employed so I can always count on him if I need to something right away but a lot of the time he is just too busy so I just leave it til nighttime rolls around. I'm a night owl so this works out to my advantage.

foxy400ex

Answer by foxy400ex at 11:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2009