freaking koolaid

Can someone please explain to me the joke the Republicans keep making about koolaid? I missed where the whole thing even started.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• there was a man named jim jones who had a religious cult following. he convinced them that they needed to die and the way they did it was by drinking kool aide laced with poison.

republicans like to equate people who voted for obama with those who "drank the kool aid."

we're all mindless followers with no thoughts or brains of our own basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It's a nasty remark that brings back the whole Jonestown cult. They all drank koolaid to commit suicide. What the repubs are referring to here is that democrats "drank the koolaid" (i.e., were conned) as supporters of Obama.

It is a disgraceful comment and sickens me that some people are so callous! There is no correlation between VOTING and a cult that commits suicide. Some people are just sick in the head.
    Anonymous

• I missed where the whole thing even started.

Because it has nothing to do with republicans. It is a generic insult, hurled by millions at Bush supporters, and Clay Aiken fans, and environmentalists, and people who like Ford over Chevy and vice versa. Once again, it's one of those things that didn't bother anybody, until it was directed at them, and then suddenly it was offensive.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• ah thank you. I have heard of Jonestown, I just wasn't putting the two together. They have no correlation.
    Anonymous

• Ford V Chevy, really?!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Ford V Chevy, really?!

Really - have you not ventured out much on the internet beyond CM? Koolaid is about as common as ROFL and STFU
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Seig Heil, Frau Pelosi
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Democrats used this against Republicans too. It goes both ways.
    Anonymous

• They think they are being clever, when in all actuality half of them don't realize the atrocities committed at Jonestown. A lot of people were forced at gunpoint to drink the lethal concoction, parents watched their kids die in front of their eyes. They made the kids go first by the way..If the kids didn't willingly drink it, then it was injected into their bodies. Not too many people were so brainwashed they willingly drank it. A lot of them had no choice.
    Anonymous

• thanks notpanicking. That was an interesting quiz! Apparently I drink Republican Koolaid 0% of the time.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009