Be honest.

Do you let your newborn cry it out? I have a 3 week old who will cry for no reason and I"ve been letting her cry it out for 10-15 mins. It usually makes her very tired and she is much calmer afterward. I make sure she is fed, has a clean diaper, burped, etc. so I know I'm meeting her needs, but sometimes I just need a break and the crying seems to wear her out. Do you do this? Do you think I'm cruel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally the only time my baby cries it out is when I am in the shower. Other then that, I figure that if he is crying then he needs something, even if it means he just needs to be held. I don't think you are cruel. This works for some people, I just don't happen to be one of them. If you are okay with letting your baby cry, then that's your choice.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You're not cruel. There's times you need to get some peace and quiet. 10-15 minutes of crying for no apparent reason since you know she isn't in pain, been fed, is clean, etc. is fine.

Our son would cry for long periods and we were desperate to help him. My husband found a product called Colic Calm online that worked for us.

I did hear recently that if a baby is allowed to cry more than 20 minutes that the stress hormone rises in their blood, though. So after 15, go in a comfort her again.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Hey, as long as her needs are met then I dont blame you. And its only for 10/15 minutes anyway... Its not as if she is crying for an hour nonstop... If it works and calms her down just to have a little cry No Big Deal!
    You arent being cruel
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 3:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No. I NEVER let my newborn CIO. When I needed to shower I would ask my mom to come over. The only time she would cry for a few minutes was so I could um. . . make a BM. Sorry TMI But I couldn't stand to listen to my baby cry. She deserved better from me.

But I don't think you're a terrible mom for it. I don't agree with it, but I am not judging you for it.
    Anonymous

• I never could let any of mine CIO, not even at night for sleeping. I just as soon have them in bed with me so we could both sleep. The only time they did for a few minutes is when I was in the potty or shower. I'm just now letting my 11 mo old CIO when I have to get something done and he's just wanting to be held...like 30 minutes ago. I put him in his crib for 15 minutes until I finished up something with his older sister.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have never let mine cry. I just can't stand it. I used to jump out of the shower. It works for some people though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• One of my sons would also cry for an unknown reason and i tried not to hold them too much because these were my firsts and just took the advice everyone gave me. So one of my babies was crying again and my husband told me to leave him alone so i did. And his face started getting super red, and i thought he was gonna pass out. So other than that i used to do the same thing. It didnt happen that often though. I think you are perfectly normal and not a bad mom.
    Anonymous

• Anon 350... Dont you find its so much easier to have a bm when the baby is crying? The first time I had to go after we got home I was having a difficult time but I heard the fussing in the next room and was done in seconds... TMI, lol
    Anonymous

• No, but then again, I didnt have a fussy baby either. She was pretty content.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My dr has told me babies can cry just to strengthen their lungs. So it's good to let them do it once in a while for 10-15 mins at a time. If it's longer than that, it means they have something else going on.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009