Whats up with the people of Oakland?

Ok, so I know that theres always been tensions between police and citizens. And in some cases the mistrust and anger is warrented (I totally get the BART thing!) But, in watching the news and talking to people, I can't believe that some people are saying the 4 cops that died deserved it! Two of those officers had kids that were 3 years old! Say those comments to a kid and see if you can look yourself in the mirror in the morning! All of those men had 9 years or more on the force with no disciplinary actions and 2 of them were not white (so lets not use the race card here people)...So why all the hostility over an incident where police action wasn't the issue? Even people screaming obscenities about the police just say its because they were police. Wheres the compassion? People are people, no matter what. Maybe if we could stop un-necessary hatred we could all get along as a community.
Don't bash the fallen please...

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because no matter where you live there will always be heartless people out there who think these individuals are no good scum of the earth. But lets here them say something when they need their assistance. It is the same for our men and women fighting for this country aboard. It breaks my heart to know that people don't see others as people but as something less because of their job or the color of their skin. But as the saying goes one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch, and what happened on Jan. 1st still is raw in some people's minds and therefore they see this as retaliation for that incident but sadly it had nothing to do with them, they were just doing their job.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• You know I don't know much about the case I heard a little about it this morning about the police officers getting killed and its very sad. I don't understand the hatred either, I know there is a few bad apples in every city in America when it comes to law enforcement but for the most part they are there to protect you in a time of need and the same ones that are hollering all the crazy mess about they deserve this or that will be the first ones crying for them if they need them to protect them. I could not be a police officer no matter what because of the craziness in this world there is no respect whatsover.
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 3:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Does somebody have a link? I didn't see the news this morning and barely remember what happened last January.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Some are just angry and want to blame the police because their family member is in prison. They don't get mad at the criminal they are related too. I am white and have family in prison. They belong in prison and I don't think the cops railroaded them. Maybe I feel this way because I am educated and not an ignorant person. So many need to get a clue and get over it. Most cops are good people and these cops did not deserve to die. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a horrible person.
    Anonymous

• http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/22/BAAU16L4OI.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Heres a recent posting for those who requested it....
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• For those of you that do not know or are aware of the demographics of Oakland. It is a gang ridden city and in many parts a dangerous place to live. I feel for those cops, they were just doing their job!
    I live 90 miles from there and I know people that live there. It is scary at times!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the link--going over to look at it now.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• What gets me is that libs talk about how great San Francisco is, and it should be a role model of the nation -yuk-but if you drive 20 min into Oakland there seems to be racial tension, violence, etc... I have family in Oakland, but they tell people they live in Berkley as to not be associated otherwise. Pretty petty if you ask me. So maybe San Fran is full of upper class lib elitest and well Oakland is the riff raff not to be associated with? wtf?
    Anonymous

• I worked in Oakland for 20 years, and there are safe, upscale areas and wonderful citizens within that community. Oakland is a big city with problems similar to many other urbans communities. Untoward individuals can and do exist in ALL communities, please do not paint Oakland with a broad brush-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Anytime you have tensions like THAT, there are usually a bunch of incidents that caused it. I'm sure the main one on everyones mind is Oscar Grant right now..If they did that right in front of MANY witness', what else do you think they've done when no one was looking?. Their reputation is getting to be that of the LAPD....

The police that died in no way deserved it and it is VERY disrespectful to yell out ANYTHING nasty about them JUST BECAUSE they were cops..kinda like that crazy church CULT that goes around protesting at soldiers funerals..just sickening.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2009