I feel so overwelmed and alone!!!!

My son is hyperactive. He has not been diagnosed but he is 6 years old and in kindergarten and in the last phase at the school of paperwork before we actually go to the doctor. He gets notes almost daily...today he has gotten 3 notes and the teacher didn't send him to the office, because she knows what we are in the process of, but told me he was hard to deal with today. He was yelling at people and crawling on the floor. I am divorced and took my son to a wedding this weekend...I wanted to die!! My son was crawling on the floor and jumping around, yelling, and not listening to me tell him to stop NUMEROUS times!!!! I am so frustrated and I feel like everyone is like...oh my gosh....she can't control her kid. I feel like an aweful mom for being embarassed by my son and for not knowing how to deal with him and being sooo frustrated!!!

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Know that you are not alone! Have you tried consistency? As far as the wedding I would prob. take my dd home and take things away...after awhile they start to listen because they know straighten up or my mom means business!! Wait and see if he is diagnosed but I don't know anything about ADD but kids in general do well with consistant rewards and punishment.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I don't think your parenting has anything to do with it. If it were lack of discipline then he would respond to the structure of school. You are doing the right thing by getting him tested.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009