I have a question about progesterone and hCG levels.......

I just had blood work done last Friday. My doctor called me today with my results, which were normal. He said hCG was 375 and progesterone 23.5% but I will need to be tested again in a week. He is monitoring my levels since I miscarried 4 months ago. I don't have an appointment until next week to actually see him and couldn't really understand him over the phone b/c of his thick accent......so in the meantime can anyone explain? What is low and what is high? how are they measured?

Gelijones

Asked by Gelijones at 3:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ok, I think I might be able to help here... I know a lot about this topic... hCG wise, anyway.
    Alright, hCG is the hormone in your body that is produced when you become pregnant. It is the same hormone detected when you take an HPT.
    Generally speaking, hCG levels start to appear ABOUT 10-11 days after conception, though it takes a couple of more days to show up in urine. This number reaches it's peak anywhere from 8-11 weeks, then levels off and remains about the same until the baby comes. Usually they double about every 48 hours, but for some women it's more like every 72. [That is true in my case. My body just takes longer to say 'hey, we're being invaded!'.] The further along you get, the longer it can take. Up to about 96 hours I believe.
    hCG levels are monitored so that the doc can have a little bit more of an idea about how far along you are, before an ultrasound can tell him. USUALLY, until hCG is over 1,000 not even
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 9:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• the gestational sac can be seen. For me they won't give me one until my levels are up over 2,000.

Try not to make too much of the numbers. With my daughter mine started low and they stayed that way. She's alive and well :) I'm also pregnant again and it's the same with this one. I did a lot of research on this when I got pregnant with Olivia and they were all freaked out about my hCG quants being low. Anyway, here's kind of a guide for you.

* 3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
    * 4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
    * 5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
    * 6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
    * 7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
    * 9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
    * 13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
    * 17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
    * 25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
    * Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
    * Postmenopausal females: <9.5
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 9:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Sounds like you're about 4 weeks along. Just follow your doctors recommendations once you do find out what [if anything] he's concerned with.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 9:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• THanks so much and yes I am 4 weeks along.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2009