What is the easiest way to soothe a teething baby?

I have tried EVERYTHING possible to soothe my 8 month old while teething. Her fevers have even gone up to 103. It is scary for me because i am a first time mommy and she was premature....so i always think the worst. She is soooooo iratable and inconsoleable. Any ideas?

delaineysmama

Asked by delaineysmama at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician told me to use Infant Tylenol drops and Baby Orajel for my son when he was teething. As long as you don't over do it, that stuff should work. Also, a cool wash cloth worked for my son. He chewed on that or a cold teether. Good luck!
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 4:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• I have already tried the orajel, motrin, baby tylonel, and teething rings.....any other ideas? or am i just losing it? she has just started teething in the last month but with neither of us sleeping.....well you know how that is.
    delaineysmama

Answer by delaineysmama at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• No other ideas come to mind. Sorry. :(
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 4:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Have you tried teething tablets? They are supposed to help calm the baby, but they don't do much for pain, so I use them with the orajel.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• hey jazztastic.....i actually havent tried the washcloth thing so maybe i will try that tonight.....thanks!!!
    delaineysmama

Answer by delaineysmama at 4:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• we took a wash cloth and put an icecube in the center and put a rubberband around it ( to hold the ice cube in) . get the ice cube wet "run water over it in the wash cloth" then let your kid chew. Don't get the whole cloth wet, thats just asking for a mess. Its cold so it gets some of the pain and then the cloths texture also helps when they rub it against their gums. This was a tip that was passed on to me at my baby shower. Worked wonders and id reccommend it to anyone.
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Is it da-laney its thats how her name is pronounced. i love it. I haven't heard that name before.
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• also- just came to mind. My naturopath told me to get a piece of beef jerky- or something like it. I guess salt acts as a natural numbing gent. Even the big pretzels are good. And no i didnt use beef jerky- i did the pretzels
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• yeah that is the way it sounds.....and thanks i havent before either until i named her and now all these other babies have the same name...but i havent seen it the way i spelled it yet...and thanks for the tip
    delaineysmama

Answer by delaineysmama at 4:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• We also use the washcloth! My son hates the teething rings when they are cold, but he will chomp away at a room temp one. Good luck...we are going through the same exact thing right now.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009