What can I do to help my 14month old son sleep through the night?

He wakes up 3-4 times a night for a sippy. He falls right back asleep, but has to wake up for milk.

my3angls

Asked by my3angls at 10:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know you probably hear this a lot, but setting up a bedtime routine is a really great idea too. I give my daughter a bath, put lotion on her, put her pj's on and then I rock her for a bit. Then when it's time for bed, I have her kiss daddy goodnight, and then I take her and lay her in her crib with her baby(her dolly). I turn on this toy that sings lullabys to her, I do the sign of the cross and I blow her a kiss and say goodnight... then I leave the room. Sometimes she cries a little bit but for the most part she just goes right to sleep. It was hard in the beginning because she would cry a lot, but as they get into the routine, they know what to expect and cry less and less. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really goes pretty quick.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 10:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i just got a copy yesterday of "the no cry sleep solution" (for those who dont want to let their kids cry it out) and its already helping!!!
    its a quick and easy read too....i HIGHLY suggest it...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 10:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Let him cry himself back to sleep. You might not sleep... but just make yourself sit there and DONT go get him. I did this with my son at 12 months after I took his pacifier away.. and he is fine now (14 months now) He has been sleeping thru the night since 4 months, but he was dependent on the pacifier.. took that away- and just let him cry- and he does great.. he sleeps anywhere from 12-14 hours a night
    shenae704

Answer by shenae704 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If you get up with him every time he wakes up he will continue to wake up.. a few nights of letting him know your there but not going to get up he will start to sleep through the night..its hard to do but sometimes it's necessary!!
    mars33me

Answer by mars33me at 10:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We used the book "Good Night Sleep Tight". It worked extremely fast and isn't as extreme as CIO, since your right there to comfort them when they are crying they have more trust in you. I would also suggest the "No Cry Sleep Solution". I got that book too but felt for our experience it was too hard to implement.  Good luck hope you can get some sleep soon! P.S. pm me if you want to know more about the book.
    roxy1stmommy

Answer by roxy1stmommy at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• when i took the pacifier away from my son he cried himself to sleep for about 3-4 night.i never went in his room and after that he was sleeping without it, no problem.and may be you can limit the naps tru the day.
    elinka

Answer by elinka at 12:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Sorry but I ran out of room... Also, if you constantly go into the room when they cry, they will most likely cry more... so just try to let him cry a little bit. If it goes on for too long then go in and lay him back down and leave the room. That way he knows you are there, but you mean business. My sister would give her daughter a bottle in her crib and when her teeth grew in they started to rot, so be careful with that. Try not to give a bottle at bedtime because they will get used to that too... Good luck!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 10:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2008