my toddler hits himself when he is upset what to do?

when he gets upset he hits himself on the head or pinches himself. also he hits his head against the floor, or he punches on his brother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter did that- i told her "don't do that it hurts my baby" meaning her. She doesn't do it anymore. Also if he goes to daycare, ask him if other kids are hitting. Then if the answer is yes or no explain why we don't hit.
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Re-direction works with my lil one. Also explaining that hitting hurts and that its not nice. Children at this age have a hard time expressing their feelings so it comes out in ways that aren't always good. I don' t know how old your son is but my daughter is two about to be three and I just ask her to tell me why she's so upset. Sometimes that helps as well. Also make sure you discipline him when he hits his brother such as time out and separating them. Just be consistent and say what you mean and mean what you say.
    sweetnsassymami

Answer by sweetnsassymami at 7:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• well i dont know how old yours is but mine is almost three and he started biting himself when he was in the corner. he never ever went through a hitting or a biting stage so im not sure where he got the whole biting thing, but he told me it was because he was mad and it made him feel better. i just told him that good boys dont hurt themselves like that. they stand nicely and when they are all done in the corner that they say sorry. he stopped biting himself at least for now, but if yours is younger i would ask your pedi, just over the phone. ask if its normal, and if it is/isnt then what can you do about it? =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My 18 Month old son does this all the time. Its just a way of them showing their emotions I guess because they cant verbalize yet. I just hold his hands and tell him not to hit himself and that hurts my baby. He still does it to tell you the truth but not much I can do about it.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 10:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My daughter did that as well. She is just bout to turn two. I tried everything but it seems that the best thing that worked for me is ignoring her when she does it. She has not done it in a while.
    1mamaof2

Answer by 1mamaof2 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2009